1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking I'll give this laptop an overhaul

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Sep 16, 2015.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Internet Explorer is very dodgy and now Google Chrome giving error messages too. Things run slowly and I'm generally limping on with a substandard service. What would you expect to pay for a bit of an overhaul and clean up. Maybe i should just replace it, but it's only three years old and used to do all I need it to.

After half an hour I realise that without tidal I may not get an answer to this. Ho hum.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Three years is still a baby!

Definitely worth taking it to have it cleaned up. Not to a chain though - look in Yellow Pages or in your local newspaper for a small local outfit.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Thanks Theo. We have got a local shop and I think I will go in there for a quote.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I've been in and they can do it in one day for £65, which is about £20 more than I expected but I may just go for it.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

1. Run a full overnight anti virus scan with whatever program you already have installed.

2. Download Malwarebytes for free and do a full overnight scan with that.

3. Download AML Free Registry Cleaner for free and muck out your registry, then use it to do a disc cleanup to get rid of unwanted temporary files.

4. Remove any unnecessary icons from your desktop.

If none of the above makes the slightest bit of sense to you, go to the bloke down the road and pay him £65 to do it all for you, bearing in mind he's going to have access to all your stuff.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I know I know. I looked up ways to fix the various problems I have and just thought there was a good chance of me making things worse rather than better. I'm just going to trust him. He's been in our high street for some years and it's like leaving your key with the builder guy - you just have to trust someone sometimes. Or spend money i don't need to spend on a new laptop.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I took the machine in yesterday and picked it up in the afternoon with a sheaf of papers telling me what they had done. He switched it on and I tried out Chrome just to see if the annoying error message had gone but it was still there. Also it wouldn't start after the machine had been in hibernation so basically - the two problems that lead me to take it in had not been sorted out. I hadn't gone into detail although I had talked generally about trouble starting up in IE and in Chrome and the chap had gaily assured me that what I needed was his £65 overhaul. he did send me away for half an hour after which time both problems were sorted out - I think he googled them. Anyway I'm zipping around today so all well that ends well but it seemed a long way round to get here.

I know this is not the most fascinating thread but i just thought I'd let you know. Anyone who thought I was a sucker for paying £65 for that service can bask in their superior judgement.