1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking ahead... first lesson in September.

Discussion in 'English' started by gizzywig, May 16, 2011.

1. Starting in a new school... would you have your first lesson creating a classroom agreement (though I'm dubious that this maybe a bit dry) or hook them in with a fab, sparky lesson and deal with behaviour/ expectations etc as each issue arises?
    In the past I've tended to jump straight in to the lessons and generally this has been effective with the exception of the odd class (with numerous behaviour issues). I wondered if setting/ agreeing expectations from the start would have been more effective, or if it is simply time and building relationships that helped improve behaviour?
    All thoughts welcome...

2. anteater

anteater New commenter

No. There will be a whole school behaviour policy that they should know about/have a copy of in their planners. Imagine if every teacher decided to do this in the first lesson - the entire first week would be taken up with writing slightly different agreements with slightly different expectations and rewards - confusing and divisive, as well as "a bit dry."
    Better than the first suggestion, but also probably not. Again, imagine if every teacher does their best all-singing and dancing lesson first off - kids will have their heads spinning! You set an expectation that every lesson is going to be like that, and then don't live up to it. You don't know if their behaviour will allow you to do this lesson well - wait until you know them better.
    Settle for a middle of the road first lesson that is unlikely to cause huge excitement, but is also unlikely to backfire on you. The kids will be sussing you out, and you them - play it safe.I find that most classes have enough excitement getting a nice new exercise book and writing a letter introducing themselves to you! Everyone likes writing about themselves - you get to see how well they can write (or not), and if you can give it back the very next lesson with a comment about how busy they must be with all that sport, or how you also love their favourite author, they already begin to see that you are interested in them as people and thus start to build up a relationship.

3. Some vaild points, especially about the school policy. I think there are some pearls of wisdom/ experience in there for me to draw upon. Cheers.