1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about taking the plunge and doing School Direct Media

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by hsssmith2, Jul 30, 2015.

1. hsssmith2

hsssmith2 New commenter

I really do want to be a Media teacher, I have applied and got offers for English and Geography PGCE routes at University but I just find my passion is not there like it is in Media and I know a PGCE/School Direct is hard enough without enjoying your subject.

Am I being silly?

No funding for Media in comparison to £4,000 bursary for English and £9,000 for Geography.

The prospects of it carrying on after 2018 are sketchy too.

As well as very limited jobs....

Very anxious if I'm doing the right thing, especially as I have a steady job and a 2.1 from a Russell Group University, this would be very much a big risk.

I haven't submitted my final choice yet but I have a few days until the deadline.

As media teachers/professionals yourselves, what would you do in my situation?

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I'd say train to be an English teacher. Most Media Studies teachers are also English teachers and, as you say, English teaching definitely has a long term future. You can then apply for jobs with a bit of Media Studies teaching (or all, if anything comes up) or get an English teaching job and slide into Media Studies later.

However, your heart does have to be in English teaching as well. Unfortunately, jobs for just Media Studies are rare, so you need to keep your options open for now.

I do realise this is easy for me to say, as I love both English and Media Studies. You have to make your own choices. Do you actually have an offer for Media Studies or just Englosh and Geography?

Perhaps the way to look at it is how enthusiastic you are for teaching, rather than a particular subject.

3. hsssmith2

hsssmith2 New commenter

I am very lucky that my degree relates to all three disciplines and I was able to mould my personal statement around this hence being accepted for all three.

I don't feel so passionate for English (its more around things like Shakespeare, grammar and writing styles) and Geography for the Physical side which is why I'm more steered for Media which I enjoy pretty much everything about.

The reason why I applied for all three is that the uncertainty of Media and Media jobs is rife, if the School Direct (unsalaried) would offer me a media job that would be perfect, but they are under no obligation to.

Such a dilemma, thanks Michael Gove who hates 'creative' or 'soft subjects'

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I'm with CandysDog on this one - train in English, and if you can, try to ensure that you are placed in a school who teach media and let them know you are very happy to teach that too.

Even if you aren't teaching it explicitly, Media can be a great way in to all sorts of English topics. I'm planning an A level English Literature SoW at the minute and, to introduce Marxist readings, will be starting with the opening of the 'Banksy' episode of the Simpsons. For the Comedy strand in A level Lit we are going to look at a range of contemporary texts to pull out the features of comedy as a literary construct. These will be media texts and many will be suggested / researched / presented by the students. I often see adverts or parts of media text and realise that they can be incorporated into my English teaching. And using the DVDs of a play isn't just about 'now let's watch it'. Showing 3 or 4 different interpretations of Lady Macbeth receiving Macbeth's letter or Macbeth's 'is this a dagger' scene will lead to all sorts of interesting writing on interpretation of Shakespeare's language.

Last year I taught a 1980s feminist play at A level and started the module using one of my SoW from my Media teaching, using older texts ('Get her a Hoover for Christmas') and more contemporary ones to explore the changing (or not) perceptions of women.

And much of English Language at GCSE is about non-fiction texts - articles from the Guardian and travel-writing are favourites of the exam boards, so you'll get plenty of opportunity to bring these in.

Homeworks / fun activities can include the pupils filming / editing movies to go with particular poems - there are some good examples on youtube.

I'll stop now (could go on for AGES!) but hope you can see that English and Media aren't mutually exclusive subjects, and that you could probably find the passion you have for media is very much transferable to your English teaching.

I hope this helps.

5. The prospects of it carrying on after 2018 are sketchy too.

Well hardly sketchy. It's under proposal for teaching new spec in 2017.

6. hsssmith2

hsssmith2 New commenter

I've decided to accept my offer on UCAS for Media but I have been granted the opportunity to do it with English too to keep my options open.

Thank you for your help everyone, it is much appreciated.

I felt if I did PGCE English or Geography, my love and passion for the subject just isn't there as it is for Media.

....Now I just need to pass my skills tests (Maths argh)!!

7. DionysusTeacher

DionysusTeacher New commenter

Good. Remember that just because your teacher training is in a specific subject doesn't mean you have to stick to that once you have your QTS. You can teach geography and English as well if you find your short of a job as you are perfectly qualified. Furthermore, although GCSE and Alevel film and media may look a bit sketchy, there are still many other media courses out there which are and still will be offered, for example BTEC.

Hope all goes well with your teacher training

lucid_dreamer likes this.