1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about starting GCSE ICT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madwoman, May 18, 2011.

1. can I ask what exam boards you are using and any pros and cons you have found.
    I have looked at WJEC as it looks a bit more interesting but not had any experience of this exam board. Happy to hear experiences of any otehr boards, OCR/AQA etc
    Thanks in advance

2. We went with WJEC for similar reasons. No feedback as yet but we're happy enough with the course.

OCR spec looked similar, and had an optional programming module, but have heard more bad stories of moderation / unpredictable exams.

AQA spec looked dull.

Edexcel spec looked like DiDA. A course we didn't get on with when we tried it.

OCR GCSE Computing is great. Don't dismiss it out of hand.

3. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

we are currently doing exactly the same thing. We have looked at Exexcell and AQA. From what we are gathering, we are leaning towards EdExcel because AQA looks too "Tradional computing".

but not sure and open to suggestion. One of our dept is an Edexcel moderator, so thinking this may avoid the edex-hell problems.

Thanks

4. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

ohh, we run GCSE Computing as an option as well, and this is havign about 10 students a year sign up.

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

The edexcel one we thought it looked simpler, but from what we are looking at we thought we could differentiate in difficulty. So, there was an element for making a multimedia presentation, so we thought maybe give the higher ability Flash and the lower ability Powerpoint(for example). I didn't like hte idea that the database element, all you had to do was alter the data(bit like OCR NAtionals), but thought again, we could make this more difficult, as i'm doing with the nationals this year for the last group of Year 10

The AQA is my other choice, and think it's much more "traditional" ICT, which could be seen as a good thing. We are having a pupil voice thing with students this week and are putting forwards our case for both, see what they say.

Thanks gav, that breakdown is brilliant.

6. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Occasional commenter

Has anyone heard of CCEA? Had this recommended but no idea about it.

Am also in a quandry about introducing a new GCSE. Have put to the department about AQA, CCEA and Edexcel. Haven't looked at WJEC, so will check it out.

7. certainly food for thought here - thank you.
    Any more views?

8. Hi
    I am also looking to move over to GCSE ICT. However, I am limited to how many lessons I will have with these pupils. I will only have 1.5 hours a week with a Y10 high ability group. Do you think this will be enough time to run the GCSE?
    We are currently running the BTEC ICT suite of qualifications and this is enough time for the 2 GCSE equivalent, but I am not sure I will have enough time with the traditional GCSE.
    Thanks
    Amjid