1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about retraining

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by JohnSpain, Apr 18, 2012.

1. For the last eleven years, I have been teaching English as a foreign language in Madrid, for most of that time to children. I am now starting to think seriously about returning to England and to mainstream, secondary-age teaching, having previously been a teacher of French at a couple of secondary schools in the Greater London area.

I have a number of questions about the best way to go about retraining with a view to teaching English language and, especially literature. First of all, let me explain my background briefly I have a PGCE in modern languages, which I obtained in 1993, and after almost two years' service, I left rather unhappily, to stumble into a civil service job, then emigrated to Spain to return to teaching, albeit in a less pressured environment: the EFL classroom, firstly with adults, then at the British Council in Madrid, teaching young learners up to university age.

Given my desire is to teach English at a school or college in England, I would like to know what I would need to do to make this an achievable aim. Ideally, I would like to do an MA in English literature, or perhaps, an MA in education, though I imagine, a PGCE in English might be the most viable option. I am open to the possibility of teaching in the private or the state sector.

I would be grateful to anyone who can offer their wisdom in this matter.

2. For the last eleven years, I have been teaching English as a foreign language in Madrid, for most of that time to children. I am now starting to think seriously about returning to England and to mainstream, secondary-age teaching, having previously been a teacher of French at a couple of secondary schools in the Greater London area.

I have a number of questions about the best way to go about retraining with a view to teaching English language and, especially literature. First of all, let me explain my background briefly I have a PGCE in modern languages, which I obtained in 1993, and after almost two years' service, I left rather unhappily, to stumble into a civil service job, then emigrated to Spain to return to teaching, albeit in a less pressured environment: the EFL classroom, firstly with adults, then at the British Council in Madrid, teaching young learners up to university age.

Given my desire is to teach English at a school or college in England, I would like to know what I would need to do to make this an achievable aim. Ideally, I would like to do an MA in English literature, or perhaps, an MA in education, though I imagine, a PGCE in English might be the most viable option. I am open to the possibility of teaching in the private or the state sector.

I would be grateful to anyone who can offer their wisdom in this matter.

3. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

If you have a PGCE (and QTS) you are eligible to teach any subject you wish, so technically require no further training.You could just apply for jobs straight away.
    However you may feel you lack the skills required for teaching English (as opposed to TEFL) - I'm not sure how relevant an MA would be. Perhaps you first port of call could be to gen up on the national curriculum/GCSE spec for English to see what exactly is taught.

4. blt

blt New commenter

Is your first degree English language?

I'd look at the Graduate Teacher Programme. You are employed by the school and this could be on a permanenent contract. In your first year, you work towards your QTS. I think the advantage of this for you is that you are in a classroom from the start and being paid. Given your experience I think this would be a good option for you.

Good luck!