1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about pimping your lesson?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dizzymai, Apr 11, 2012.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I've just spent the day in bed (poorly) so I've read this book (recommended on Teaching a lesson at interview thread) from start to finish.
    Some thoughts others might find useful before buying:
    -It is mainly aimed at secondary teachers (particularly KS3), it is written by two secondary teachers. (Not so useful for us primary teachers but many of the ideas are transferrable. I would like to see a KS1 and 2 pimp your lesson book.....)
    -The style of writing is terrific- kind of mild blinging South London street style without losing its voice of professionalism. A really can do, fun attitude prevails with some excellent quotes to start each section. And jokes too!
    -I have highlighted some parts (yes, I am a bit geeky) BUT if you have been teaching for a few years and have a reasonable amount of CPD, none of it will be news to you. It's more like a refresher read in how to teach a really great lesson with everything in one book. However if you are NQT or a trainee teacher- get it- particularly if you are secondary.
    - It is not up to date with the new OFSTED framework, which is surprising and disappointing. It clearly sticks to the format of three part lesson (which we have been told is out of date??). Maybe that will be coming out soon?

Hope this helps some of you who are considering buying it- it ain't cheap.

2. Really? The 3 part lesson is out of date? I missed that memo!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

'How to be an Outstanding Primary Teacher' is similar in style and more relevant to primary.

I, being a sad geeky sort as well, have both books and both are very useful.

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Ooh, I need that book then! Is it easy to find on amazon?

We have been told categorically that the three part lesson is a thing of the past- it's mini plenaries throughout the lesson and very little whole class teaching, since it is rare that the whole class needs to be taught at the same level. It's quite radical! This is what our SIP is saying......

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeah dead easy on Amazon.

We have 3 part lessons on our school dictated plans. But on our observation plans, also school dictated, it talks about mini-plenaries and there is the freedom not to have a three part lesson.

I do a mix and match. Some days 3 part, some days not. Some days class altogether all lesson, some days not at all.

As long as all the class make good progress, it matter not a lot.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for that helpful review Dizzy, and others for their suggestions too.
    I hear that a new version is in the pipeline . . . it was written before that, of course.
    Best wishes

7. How rude! I've just shelled out 10 quid on that book! Had I of known there was a new one on the way I would have waited... And I got mine off Amazon but went for the Kindle version, that way I can give it a quick read whenever and nobody knows! Muhahaha! Yea, I think it is time for bed...

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, not rude of them, very sensible.
    If there is a change to Ofsted, then they will want to reflect it.
    And who knows when it will be - so you might have waited a very very long time . . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.