1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about doing an online part time MA

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by dee.ranged, Sep 25, 2016.

1. dee.ranged

dee.ranged New commenter

Hi everyone,

I received some information the other day about doing an online part time MA Education with Derby university. I really want to pursue this but am unsure about costs and things. I know I can apply for a career development loan but I'm not sure how the repayments work. I don't want to end the masters and then end up with a lot of debt because of this.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I've read information online but I'd like to see some people's actual experiences of this.

2. Apple101

Apple101 Occasional commenter

Will your school pay for you? I know a lot of schools do this. Mine wanted me to do a masters in education, I politely said no because I didn't see the point but for those that do its nice to have the option.

Did you get any credits as part of your PGCE?

Loans are available for masters study now anyway just like there are for undergrad study.

3. dee.ranged

dee.ranged New commenter

Thank you. I have got my performance management review on Monday so will ask about school funding available for it then. I'm not sure about PGCE credits.

Do the loans available just get added to current student loan repayments?

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depending on your financial situation you may not need a loan. I'm just starting mine and it is only about £4000, payable in 3 instalments.
    Mine isn't online though, not sure of it makes a difference. But it surely can't be very different in terms of cost.

You will have to make a decision very soon, I missed the closing date, but they let me on late anyway.

I'm paying myself, but school have agreed to time for the residentials and some time and office space for study.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall when there was a time the Unions teamed up with a local provider to fund the pursuit of a Masters. Many colleagues from my school started the course but to my knowledge none finished - it may have had something to do with the initial lecturer ! I took advantage of NPQH Award to bolster my credit total but decided to withdraw before tackling the dissertation ( £700 approx ) so I ended up with some post grad qualification but not the M Ed. I really enjoyed writing the assignments (and went on to have somethings published post school ) when I was still working but could not motivate myself for the dissertation and to be honest I was at the end of my full time career and could not rationalise the effort- hey ho !