1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about applying for a role as SENCO

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EJR20, Jan 21, 2016.

1. EJR20

EJR20 New commenter

I have been teaching 6 years and in my place of work a SENCO role has been advertised.

I have had no experience of this role but it is something that I've always felt that I would be interested in doing. I want my work to be more pupil involved rather than HOD role.

I suppose I'm just looking for advice... I feel that I may be too inexperienced for the job due to me only having taught for 6 years and was just wanting people's thoughts/advice.

Thanks

2. sockknittingtubes

sockknittingtubes New commenter

go for it, I suspect you will be surprised , the role has become much more adminthan the days I did it 19 years ago when I moved on to working with challenging behaviours in exclusion units- this latter job was the most rewarding of all e jobs I have had. Go for it before you get stuck in your role and can not move on- Good luck - wish I could have had this sort of page when I was starting out - end og my career now in sight and wish it was all better now and not so stressed..

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just check that you fit the person specification before you apply.

If they ask for specific qualifications, for example, or experience, it may not be right for you. If there is this requirement, talk to the manager at school who would be overseeing this role before going ahead.

Best wishes

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I am not sure how the SENCO has been operating in your school but the true nature of the job is about the leadership and management of provision. Look at the SENCO standards and look at what is expected when working towards the NASCos. Yes, you would be in an excellent position to ' champion ' those students who are often 'handicapped' in the general sense of the word by the system - it is a privilege and a challenge - but the very nature of the job means that you have to do this strategically. There is excessive paperwork for everyone in teaching these days. Being a lead learner for SEND is about raising everyone's game to accommodate those who are / feel marginalised by their need and by achieving this you do have ' student involvement ' but maybe not in the way you want / perceive ?