1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Think you'd pass your KS2 Grammar SAT in 2016?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chelsea2, Jan 17, 2016.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Have a look at this link and try the questions. Remember - these are for 11 year olds!
    My questions would be:
    - how appropriate is this level of knowledge for most primary children?
    - how comprehensible is this level of grammar knowledge to most primary children?
    - how will it enable them to write better?

Imagine how many hours of teaching it will take to drum this into the children - not just the most able, but all Year 6 children.

I managed 80%.
    http://www.sats2016.co.uk/think-youd-pass-your-sats-in-2016/

petenewton likes this.
  2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ludicrous! Mind, I don't know how I've got through life (I'm 57) without knowing the names of some bits of grammar that I know how to use perfectly well.

SarahJayne66 likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'm assuming this isn't some kind of joke....:confused:

If l were still a parent of school age children, l'd tell them not to worry about it ( or even keep them home if l knew the SATs day!)

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We've been doing this over on the Primary forum ( nothing better to do with our time!) Most of us managed 80-90% but there are some dubious answers in there ( even markuss had a go although refusing to call them SATS:D)
    Now secondary teachers know what we spend all our time doing!
    Ridiculous, just ridiculous!

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Sadly, no joke. :(

The questions are adapted from the sample English question papers for 2016 published by the Standards & Testing Agency, so you can be sure they’re a true reflection of the tests.

6. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I got 90% and I'm a languages teacher. :(

Most of this knowledge is completely unnecessary at the age of 11 and it's full of complex terminology which is going to make things really tough for lower ability kids and waste learning time for everyone.

I am all for academic rigour where it's actually useful. I originally welcomed the idea of a SPAG test and more emphasis on grammar because it is incredibly frustrating to try and teach GCSE French to pupils who can't even identify a verb in a sentence.

Some explicit grammatical awareness (ie: what is a noun/verb/adjective/adverb/preposition) is definitely worth having. The terminology isn't absolutely essential in order to be a competent user of English or other languages, but it's not beyond the grasp of the vast majority of pupils and can be a handy shorthand - ie: Your sentence doesn't make sense because it doesn't contain a verb. Remember proper nouns need capital letters. Can you add an adverb to your sentence?

This test really is appalling and a massive waste of time which is putting undue pressure on Year 6 pupils and teachers.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

6/10
    I'd never heard of some of those terms used in that way.

petenewton likes this.
  8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Welcome to our world:(

9. Flere-Imsaho

Can you not just slip them the answers and spend your time doing useful stuff?
    ;)

SarahJayne66, lardylady and CarrieV like this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Secondary colleagues would complain about the inflated results! :rolleyes:

yodaami2 likes this.
  11. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Oh dear. Only 7 out of 10 here. And at least half of those were guesses. How on earth have I managed to be an upright, responsible, tax paying member of society for nearly 40 years?

SarahJayne66 and ValentinoRossi like this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

True, but they would also probably be pleased that they wouldn't have to teach the re-sits!

13. Flere-Imsaho

Only if they actually needed to know all that stuff. Just teach 'em not to comma splice and we'll be quite happy!

ValentinoRossi and Middlemarch like this.
  14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I only ever learned what nouns, verbs and adjectives were/did - and at a conscious level long after I left school. However I have always known when a sentence was 'right' or not, and knew what to do to make it 'right' with punctuation or grammar. A gut thing. I've copy-edited and proofed a lot of books very successfully.... but I wouldn't know how to parse a sentence.

Hmmm - 40%.... and that's a pass?

Middlemarch and yodaami2 like this.
  15. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Madness! I thought I had a relatively good understanding of grammar but.....70%! -myrtle- gave a comprehensive list for all, plus maybe different verb types past imperfect perfect conditional etc for higher flyers in prep for foreign language learning. Madness! CarrieV I don't want to be welcomed to your world, quite happy in my own, especially after seeing this.

16. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Ha ha. 6/10. Lamentable.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But that may not help Y6 teachers to achieve their impossible targets, which will doubtless be based on KS2 SATs results. So they'll have to teach & teach & teach this rubbish to children who can't understand it.

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5/10 and I guessed about 8 of them. Never even heard of half of the terms (and I passed 11 plus and went to a Grammar)! What the heck is a past progressive?

19. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Utterly risible. This is the sort of thing that makes Education UK PLC a laughing stock all over the world. Tragically, however, these ridiculous KS 2 figures continue to completely dominate life in schools.

chelsea2 likes this.
  20. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I think you'd be surprised what primary students know - my daughter (who is in year 5) knows all about prepositions, etc., already. My parents learnt "parsing" (i.e. this sort of stuff) at school, my generation didn't (I scored 90% - I've never heard of a "determiner" - but learnt all I know through studying French), but our children are learning about grammar again and are quite comfortable talking about it.