1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Think I've made a huge mistake!!!!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by foxymox, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I have just started my first deputy head's post after 17 years as a class based primary teacher and I'm worried that I've made the wrong move. I have quite a big teaching commitment and a huge remit and I'm really struggling to get everything done. I feel anxious and worried, although do my very best not to show it, and I just don't 'feel the part'.
    I know it's very early days.........
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Oh, yes. I'm in exactly the same boat. See my topic 'awful day!' I've been dht at this school for 4 years. You're in for a seriously busy time. Sorry if that sound unhelpful. Ask me if I can help you out with anything! Maybe you can do the same for me!

3. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

While I am no 'deputy head' about a week in with the kids in a new role usually represents the absolute peak of uncertainty about whether you can cope. Once you get over it, it is a nice gradual downhill as you learn the routines and get used to it.

4. Prioritise, your class must come first and then you need to figure out what is important and what can wait. IF you don't have time for everything you need to figure out if you can delegate some tasks, or possibly work on some of them as the lead in a curriculum team.
    As a new deputy at a school you will earn credibility in the eyes of the other staff by getting into class and showing your ability which, although tough to begin with, will hopefully pay dividends in the future when you have to sell a vision or take them with you when you want to do something new.
    Good luck.