1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you'd love to say to parents but can't!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Dodgeball82, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I've been asked by a national magazine to write a short article on the things, as a primary teacher, that I'd love to say to parents but can't without getting sacked!
    I have a few ideas:
    Swearing in front of their kids!
    Not backing up the school when their child is a pain in the ****!
    Doing homework for their child!
    Would love to hear any other ideas you've got [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure any of those scenarios are things you couldn't speak to parents about without getting sacked to be honest. I assume the parent is swearing not you ???

3. Put your children before drugs/ alcohol (oops did I say that)- luckily the minority..... there are lots of fabulous parents out there!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

"Please don't bother to threaten your child with "I'll tell your teacher" when they are naughty. I don't actually care how they behave in your home and think you need to discipline your child yourself."

"Go away and don't come anywhere near my classroom again unless you want to say something good. I'm sick to the back teeth of your daily moaning and complaining about trivial matters."

"Your child is not gifted. They aren't even all that clever. They are just an opinionated brat with an overinflated ego."

I'd not get sacked for the above (possibly slapped by the parents!) and I've no idea what the 'national magazine' is but I cannot for the life of me see that they would want a series of statements with no context. Nor can I see that this will make an interesting article, would just be people like me having a good moan.

5. Msz

It all sounds very odd to be honest.
    Who says we can't be honest with parents without getting sacked?

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

7. What chance have I got of educating your offspring when you provide them with zero aspiration and they already have the benefit system sussed?

8. Sorry Msz, I should obviously explain a little more.
    The article is a tongue-in-cheek article about the things that wind us up as teachers about parents and the responses we would love to give to them but can't without losing our professionalism. Obviously we can respond to these things in person in a professional manner, but the article is about the things we think rather than actually say!

9. Msz

If we can't say in person without being considered unprofessional then perhaps we shouldn't be putting it in print either. A great way to wind up parents rather than work with them sorry it still sounds odd. It's not the DM is it...

10. Sorry if this thread has offended you Msz. The article isn't supposed to wind anyone up or be taken offensively. I hope it will give parents who don't understand the pressures of being a teacher a better insight into what we have to do day to day.
    I understand that the majority of parents are amazing and that they help and support us accordingly. But I hope it will highlight some of the small things that annoy us as teachers and help parents understand why these things are annoying to us.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

How about; " I know you only have your own 5 children to worry about, but I have 230. I know the fact that your (year4 ) child has lost his coat is important to you but today I haven't had time to find it because I've been balancing the budget, trying to get some funding so your children can go on free trips, dealing with child protection issues, at a case conference, teaching, sorting out a bullying incident and responding to pointless paperwork requests from the government. The fact that I have not found your child's coat dies not make me a "sh1t" headteacher, neither does it make me incompetent nor warrant a letter to the authorities and the local paper ( which I know you won't write because you're illiterate). The fact that your year 4 child can not look after his own coat says more about your parenting than it does about my leadership."
    Will that do you for starters? Ask me again tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have more.

12. Msz

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

But perhaps the 'article' is really a Mumsnet fishing outing for more evidence of how horrid teachers can be .......

14. Msz

wouldn't be the first time [​IMG]

15. Thank you Msz. I understand that some parents will take it offensively - you're never going to please everyone are you?! But even if it helps just one or two parents to be less aggresive towards teachers over small things I will be happy.

16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

17. Msz

Why shouldn't I care?
    However what I do care about is working with the parents of the children I teach and yes sometimes that includes telling them that they should put their child first or that Johnny isn't the angel they think or that they are the adult and take control ... lets not pretend it's a sacking offence to speak bluntly when required

18. Shall we all send you our addresses so you can send us the payment for doing your work for you?

19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

This is nothing more than a light hearted article that might hit home to some parents. Mumsnet is a fairly close minded, DM reading type place where the posters will get their backs up about the smallest of issues.

You would tell parents of children in your class that you think they are on drugs and that this hurts their child's chances in school? You don't think you might get in trouble for that?