1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things You Would Never Hear A Supply Teacher Say

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Gold1996, Nov 17, 2010.

1. This thread has reminded me of the very non-humourous aspects of supply. The utter gnawing misery of struggling financially, being treated like a sub-slave by the agency, a non-person by the school staff and oddly enough, probably the best of all by the students, the uphill struggle and personal doubts of applying for jobs, the grim grit of cracking on and getting in there with a smile and a positive attitude, being the professional whilst feeling like a devalued, second rate cast off. I hope I never feel like that again. The baffling fact was that I chose all of that..... mad.

2. "That's right, four lessons is half a day."

3. " So you don't need me for next week after all, despite telling me and my agency that I would be wanted. And you have waited until Friday 4.00 to tell me. What a lovely surprise holiday!"

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Thank you so much God for placing me in a school today where I had to run 'design a cover' lessons six times in a row with awkward children from 4 different year groups. What a shining example of imagination and differentiation.

5. "Wow, yes, a "Pay Your Tithes Here," poster made in illuminated letters using Publisher, exactly captures the work of the medieval monks."

pepper5 likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"I just smile indulgently whenever the projector's remote has been locked in the teacher's desk drawer. It's not like it's going to make the lesson more difficult is it?"

pepper5 likes this.
  7. What a wonderful lesson. The kids knew exactly what to do and had all the information they needed in their exercise books, just like their teacher said they would!

8. No I don't mind telling you my work history so you can decide if I'm qualified to teach the children, even though you are not SMT or the head.
    You are so right I am waiting for a 'proper' job, especially given this is not a really a job, just a hobby I get paid for.
    No really I loved the class, especially the challenging ones that you have only just decided to tell me (at the end of the day) have difficult home situations/ SEN/ should have a support worker who spent the whole day *** about and doing anything but their job etc.
    No really please don't bother to learn my name I love being called the supply, and being talked about in the staff room as if I'm not here.

orlando489978 likes this.
  9. Just called at the agency to drop in a bottle of wine and box of chocolates as a big thankyou.

10. Just booked the Canaries for Christmas, fancied a change from the Alps.

11. My cleaner's such a treasure.

12. Sorry can't come in today, I'm on a course.

13. This netbook was a real bargain-only £700

14. Where are we having our Christmas night out this year?
    (I knew there had to be at least one compensation!)

15. My favourite time of the day is what I cal 'The Golden Hour'. It's that magical time between 7.30 am and 8.30 am when the pure excitement of the 'will I/won't I get a call' is positively intoxicating!
    Cx

pepper5 likes this.
  16. No that's alright. I fully understand you've not paid me this week - pesky clerical errors

pepper5 likes this.
  17. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

'Yes, the plans/note you left me were very clear, thankyou'

'I cant do that school today, the dog ate my memory stick'

'A big class ey? the more the merrier!'

'hands up children if you think im ****'

'I like having chairs thrown at me'

'Obey me or the class pet gets it'

18. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Oh my God, I LOVE this thread! Have been crying with laughter! "No I don't have a home to go to - have you got any more marking for me to do? It's only 5pm."

19. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

'No, it's absolutely fine that I had to stand in the cold for half an hour waiting for someone to let me in. You never know what weirdo is going to buzz reception these days, do you?"

20. "Yes, I'm the weirdo in the white car who's been cruising around outside.