1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things You Would Never Hear A Supply Teacher Say

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Gold1996, Nov 17, 2010.

1. 1. To a TA "No I am sure they don't behave like this when their proper teacher is here. That is such valuable feedback and will certainly take it on board"
    2 "I am so overworked, I think I'll take a day off today"
    3. "The royal wedding happening on the same week as Easter Monday is great, I love having an inevitable unpaid two day holiday!"
    4. "Being ignored is such fun- who needs people to be friendly?"
    5. "Don't be silly, of course I don't need access to the PE cupboard when I am teaching PE all day"
    6. "No you are right Dean, of course you don't have to behave for me as I am not a real teacher, just an actress "
    7. "Oh I am sorry, of course you can have your phone out and talk on it in the lesson as Miss always lets you"
    8. "Of course you don't need to tell me there has been a room change, just tell the pupils so I arrive 15 minutes late to a lesson. Am sure they will be ready to learn despite the disruption"

2. "Jack, do you want another try at aiming at the back of my head with that rubber?"

3. "Sophie - that is not a very good effort at drawing a penis (the male reproductive organ)".

4. "It is ever so quiet in this lesson, PLEASE SAY SOMETHING!!!"

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

"It is ever so quiet in this lesson, PLEASE SAY SOMETHING!!!"

Actually I have had classes like this in one school and came to the conclusion that they were I quite like a little bit of banter now and then.

6. "Why of course I am happy to teach 5 Spanish lessons in 5 different classes today, with no planning for 2 of them. It'll be fun!"

7. I have on occasions had classes that were so utterly quiet it was faintly terrifying! Usually they're sussing you out and the personalities start to emerge by about first playtime though - but I remember saying I wouldn't return for a 2 day booking at one school because it was so, so bad, and then getting sent to a different school for the same age group instead the second day. After being greeted by the head wearing a red wig and y fronts outside his trousers (it was Red Nose Day), I asked the class to get their jotters out and start the task left for them... and they all did it with utter complicity and minimal chatter.... I'm not sure which was the more surreal experience of the two to be honest!

8. darkness

darkness New commenter

"How has your day been?"

Supply teacher: "Sh*t"

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

"Yes I am very familiar with the concept of respect being a two-way street, and I am of course guilty of having shown you and your classmates deep disrespect by placing this set work in front of you and expecting you to make a prompt start on it."

"No problem at all, I'll be more than happy to go down the corridor and fetch a 'real' teacher to repeat the exact same f*cking classwork instructions to you so you can meekly obey them instead of blatantly defying me."

10. "No I really don't mind sitting in the staff room with all the teachers referring to me as "the supply" to my face, after all I don't have an actual name."

"no, don't bother to come along till 9.30 with the P7 work, after all sitting in the staff room with your feet up is way more important than me having actual work for the children to do" (I was told not to bother with anything for the class since the teacher was in school, she was on development time and had already planned all the work)

11. jj80

jj80 New commenter

I can perform miracles on a daily basis!

By the way...im loving this! I now know Im not alone!!! And now maybe I can stop moaning to my boyfriend who has no clue as to what I talk about..or maybe not. lol

12. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I'm on strike today!

13. You are on strike today because, as a fulltime teacher, your disposable income will be going down by about 100 quid a month because of extra pension contributions? Well I am so glad that I will only be losing about 100 a day because I am being replaced by support staff.

14. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Well said

15. Mine was the day after major surgery, oh and it has happened before.. the day after i'd been rushed into a&e and informed them I was being kept in for a week.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I got a call on my mobile whilst holidaying in France, having already told them I was unavailable. The agent said she thought the ringtone sounded odd.

17. Absolutely. I have a full time position now, but I feel so bad for supply staff who are not getting as much work. I was lucky to get position because I was getting fewer days on supply.

18. Absolutely, i am lucky I have a full time position now but feel sorry for supply staff who are getting fewer days. I went permanent because i was getting fewer days and cover supervisors were taking over.

19. You would like me to take continous 20 minute lessons for the entire day
    in different classrooms, across two key stages, each having completely
    different lesson plans which I cannot access now, across 4 floors with no maps or master key? And
    mark everything? Why, thank you. Yes, I love the variation.This will be
    fun.

20. etakbennett

etakbennett New commenter

Thanks so much for releasing my class from assembly with the words 'year ? you may leave with Miss oh I don't know her name, i mean your teacher's name, off you go'. I've been there 7 weeks. It really helps with how much the children feel they need to respect me as their teacher!!!