1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you wished a child hadn't noticed ...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Donjee, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    A child kindly pointed out to me today in a very loud voice at the dinner table "why are you growing a moustache?"
    Talk about find a girl's one little insecurity and blurt it across the dining room!! Talk about kick a girl when she's down!! I didn't even know that other people could see it - I thought it was only in certain lights and when up really close to the mirror!!!
    Ha ha - I'm off to get a wax now!
    What things have your pupils noticed or pointed out to you that you'd wished they hadn't?!

2. Hi all,
    A child kindly pointed out to me today in a very loud voice at the dinner table "why are you growing a moustache?"
    Talk about find a girl's one little insecurity and blurt it across the dining room!! Talk about kick a girl when she's down!! I didn't even know that other people could see it - I thought it was only in certain lights and when up really close to the mirror!!!
    Ha ha - I'm off to get a wax now!
    What things have your pupils noticed or pointed out to you that you'd wished they hadn't?!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOLOL Got to love them! Reminds me to nip up to the bathroom and have a hunt for some wax now...

4. After coming back from maternity leave: "When are you having your baby?" Gutted, I had tried so hard to loose the weight!!

5. God, that's the one I dread! One of mine asked what that big red thing was on my forehead - pointing out a really big spot I had. I had just opened the door to let the children out and it was when the parents were all quiet, so that was nice. I'm sure the moustache one is coming next....!

6. "Why are your teeth so yellow, Miss? Is it because you drink too much Coke? My mum says if I drink too much Coke, my teeth will go yellow".
    Eek! It's only my biggest insecurity!

7. I have a small (honestly) mole on my chin but one of our kids with ASD was convinced it was something painful and would always do an intake of breath when he saw it and ask how it was doing. Every time, for ages. He's stopped now, thankfully.

8. This really did made me laugh. I can imagine one of my ASD children doing a very similar thing!

9. I was talking to a Y2 class about the black death and really getting into the description of the buboes. One boy was very worried about me and that's how I realised that my acne was flaring up again!

10. Oh how funny! My little moustache pointer outerer is a child with ASD too! I can't believe he has drawn attention to the moustache that I could have sworn nobody else had noticed. Now I wonder whether he just said what everyone else was thinking!!
    Keep them coming - these are so funny!

11. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Miss, are you pregnant? (didn't wear that dress again)
    Miss, are you a clown? (didn't wear those trousers again)
    No ASD to blame it on, sadly[​IMG]

12. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Not completely the same but I had a terrible cough last week, and whilst explaining a task I started a coughing fit and couldn't stop. Didn't have a drink and wanted the kids to get started so persevered. Instructions went like this
    "so you cough draw a picture of your cough cough favourite toy cough here, then underneath, if it's cough made of cough plastic cough, you write this cough is made of cough plastic." to which a child goes "do we have to write the coughs in?" not sure if he was trying to be funny or what!

When on placement in y6 I went for an interview and arrived back for afternoon classes still in my smart interview dress. One of the girls asked if I'd been to a wedding (in black?)...another asked if I had a new boyfriend.

13. When I was wearing a blonde fairy costume wig to go with my wand and wings on World Book Day : "ooh miss, your hair is lovely!" and that was a parent.

14. When I was working in an orphanage in Cambodia last year the kids used to grab my bingo wings and stomach fat and then laugh! I would like to point out that I'm a size 12, but boy did those kids make me feel hideously obese! We can't all have the skinny genes!
    I also had a year 2 girl in England draw a picture of me complete with spots on my face. That was lovely.

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

My hair is starting to retreat, making a nice widow's peak. A girl asked me (just last week) why I have hair on my forehead. As she was small she could only see the tuft in the middle of my head and thought it was just growing from my forehead. Lovely.

16. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

In descriptive writing last week, I asked the children to describe someone we all would know (expecting Beyonce/David Beckham ect) but as we were reading the descriptions to the class, one child said the she had described me, then said "but don't worry, I've been kind!" She had written about my silvery hair and that I laugh about mistakes-theirs and mine. Hilarious!

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Only yesterday sat with a reception child, "Your tooth sticks out like my Nan's."
    Also had the yellow teeth one many times working in nursery, which I am also self consious about.
    Most are innocent remarks, but I did have one horrible Y6 girl once do a portrait of me after I had given her a dressing down the day before. She had drawn in every little mole on my face and smirked as she showed me what was a very good picture.[​IMG] Her own teacher at the end of the year ended up having a very obvious mole removed from her face after this particular catty girl made comments.
    I have a large mole on my leg so hate wearing shorts as I have had my grandad flick at it thinking it was a fly, a boyfriend as a teenager wipe at it for the same reason and every baby and toddlerr facinated by it! I am building up to having that one removed. Years ago the scar would have been worse than the mole, but now techniques have imporoved.
    I also remember being mortified by my 3 year old son when out shopping. He was pointing out lots of things whilst I was distracted trying to find something and was't really listening. It was only after he repeated something for the 4th time that I tuned in and realised he was pointing to a hugely overweight lady and saying "Why is that lady so fat?" I've never left a shop so quickly!

18. My nephew did the same thing when he was three. We were out for a walk and an overweight man was loading the boot of his car. I was embarrassed when my nephew asked that question at the top of his voice. It was totally innocent! The man in question just had a good laugh over it. I've had the one about "Miss, are you going to have a baby?" I didn't know quite how to take that as I was past the age. But I didn't wear that particular dress again. More recently one little boy in nursery insisted on calling me 'granny', which I found quite endearing (I am a granny).

19. I have a mole on my chin (not that big) that gets commented on fairly frequently - "Miss why is that spot there?" - but the other week I wore a slightly smarter than normal top and wore my hair down instead of in a ponytail for a change and was complimented all morning. So it's not all bad!

20. There was great hilarity from one of my tables today which stemmed, a little girl pointed out politely afterwards, from the fact that my bra strap had slipped ever so slightly and was peeking out from under my cap sleeve on my top.
    And last week one of the children had a hand up to answer a question (so I thought) but when I called upon her for her answer she calmly told me I had a hole in my tights.