1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you wish you could say to your boss or just in work...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jet786, Sep 17, 2020.

1. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Have ever had that moment when you are sitting in a meeting listening to someone go on about something you have no interest in and you wish you could say....
    or heard your boss speak fluent bs to someone praising them for something you know they are taking false credit for and you want to say...
    You get the picture...what are somethings you wish you could have said in that moment.....
    things like..."There used to be free coffee in the staff room boss...how are we going to handle this working from home?"
    "How is it i am smarter than you yet you have a private office?"...."Were you born being a ****? or was that part of your degree?"...but my favourite..."What if we applied common sense to fixing the problem instead of forming another working committee?"..:D
    What are your comments....let me know..:);):p

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Not been a good week so far then jet? How about, its home time let's no dwell on past negatives of work experience. Have a nice evening.:)

3. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

I generally just like to ask what they would like me to stop doing in order to fulfil their latest initiative.
    It tends to leave them confused.

4. jet786

jet786 New commenter

:) Actually the week has not been bad at all...just approaching it from a general point of view when we all have those moments and wish we could say something...or worse..hindsight gives us the perfect comeback comment way to late...just some fun and stress relief on here...

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Occasional commenter

Variations of ‘Yer what’

SeanbheanMac and needabreak like this.
  6. needabreak

Fair enough.

7. needabreak

I generally say them, I'm too long in the tooth to sit idly by listening to the 'latest new thing' or generally have the **** ripped out of me in terms of workload... then walk... the door rarely hits me on the rear on the way out.

Honestly its more useful to the organisation to know what its qualified and experienced staff think, we are paid to use our brains and to be honest, most managers find it helpful unless they are narcissists. I do avoid expletives though they generally don't like that.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Leaves them confused?

Gosh, they need some lessons from the private sector, That response would never floor an experienced private sector manager. The answer is easy. "It's your job to make time for to do both things". Simples :)

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Our school is beginning to fill up with people who have very strong opinions on how we should teach and how we should get the most out of our pupils yet have never taught in a classroom in their lives (or not for a long time).

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

A song by Lindisfarne.

Two by two the lovers wandered off into the night
    Leaving me alone with someone who I only knew by sight
    So we sat and watched each other through the fading firelight
    Each one waiting for the silence to be broken
    And the things I should have said
    That were whispering in my head
    Would not be spoken

The black-eyed master glared at me with malice in his eye
    The spittle from his twisted lips ran down to his bow-tie
    I was dumb before his accusations I dared not deny
    When he done with me I stood outside there shattered
    That came rushing to my head
    No longer mattered

Teachers from whose mellowed mouths great pearls of wisdom crawl
    To those who scrawl obscenities upon the alley walls
    The joke is on the bloke who never spoke a word at all
    But whose dreams lay unrevealed 'til they were rotten
    That I was keeping in my head
    Have been forgotten

Jamvic and monicabilongame like this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I no longer 'wish I could say' things to my bosses - if it's important I find a way of saying it, and if it isn't important I let the fleeting thought continue on its way.

12. needabreak

That should read teaching... or education is ...

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Just tell them that it is a brilliant idea. Then ignore it.

14. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

A friend of mine who is a nurse says her managers are the same. Ditto a carer.
    At least stupid managers rarely lead to people dying in education, although obviously this year might be the exception.

maggie m, Nanny Ogg and needabreak like this.
  15. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Our school is a maybe a few steps ahead of you on that path...they are training people to become leaders and researchers, except we are in time going to have a bottleneck of leaders with a masters or phd who have nowhere to go...being a small independent school there are only so many places to fill and promotions...Teachers are already confused getting instructions from 5 different "leaders"...

16. jet786

jet786 New commenter

Oh I wish it was that simple..it used to be..but we had a change at the top and the trickle down is nothing but good news and rainbows for all...no one wants to have to deal with bad information or news..i believe the term i heard used "that is an offline conversation matter"

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"That's a gutsy call, boss!"
    Never fails.

18. needabreak

It depends how high up you are, if you're a MS teacher chances are your boss agrees with you, higher up and you may lock horns... but you asked us what we'd do not for advice about what you should do... all the best.

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

"Could you furnish us with any evidence that the 'initiative' you have just explained to us has benefits for anyone other then you?"

"Why do you consider that doing things differently necessarily equates with doing them better?"

20. needabreak

?