1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you love, or things that work really well, in your classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rainbow Flowers, Jul 22, 2009.

1. I've done something similar with my PSHE board - the pieces of paper with the children's names and compliments on are then put inside an individual balloon. Blow the balloons up and attach to the outside of the display board.... pop a balloon each day - the children love the anticipation of whether their name will be called out and what has been said about them. [​IMG]

2. This is great way to get the children to say nice things about each other on a regular basis. The lower half of the display is covered in sticky back plastic and the children are encouraged to write positive messages to each other. I saw this picture online and used it last year with my year 3's.

Say something nice

They always wrote lovely things and were eager to see what others had written about them. They would take a named lollistick out of the jar and write a message on Friday afternoons. It was lovely to see all of the positive comments for the rest of the week, and using the lollisticks meant that ALL of the children had something to look forward to.

3. Love this idea! It looks so bright and cheerful as well! Do the comments stay on all year round then?

4. The compliments thing sounds very much like the PATHS PSHE SOW - used it in an old school and it came with a great set of resources. [​IMG]

5. GRYPHON! Goodness me, I LOVE this idea! I rather love having Spotify at work at gives me the chance to play the odd tune and the kids love listening to music. But this idea I absolutely adore.

Art-wise, I don't feel particularly articulate in this myself. But does that even matter?

6. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Thanks! Not sure it does matter actually because it is very powerful for the children to see you learning along with them. Check out my Art and Music of the week thread if you like. Winni's Art and Music of the Week- ideas bank.

7. Hi!

This "tarsia" program sounds great, i've spent ages making loop cards in powerpoint before! where/how can i download it?

Thanks a lot

8. rachy1310

rachy1310 New commenter

This is a bit like other posts but slightly different. I am an NQT but I did this in my placement school and they loved it. I joined in and loved it too. I gave every child a piece of paper and asked them to cut it into a bubble or star and put their name not to big in the middle. I then got the children to get a friend to sellotape their own star or bubble on their back. From now on the children must be silent (I usually put some music on). The children have to go around and write one nice thing on everyones star they must not put who its off, just move on to the next person. After everyone takes their star off their back and reads all the nice things others have said about them. Its a really self esteem booster and the children keep it in their trays and if they are ever feeling down they can look at it and see what everyone reallyt hinks about them [​IMG]

9. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Thanks I have added it to bookmarks too. Will certainly be much used when I get my printer working again. Thanks

10. Amazing thread. I'm really looking forward to going through all the links. I've already got some great inspiration. Thank you so much. The only thing that I can add is that I used to have a 'poem of the week' which the pupils explored through art, music, discussion, role play etc. Sometimes they learned a stanza but not every time. We really enjoyed it but in my new school the timetable was just too tight.

11. I'm going to try out some of these great ideas; thanks a lot, everyone. This is one I know works well for rewards. I keep a book of raffle tickets and when children behave well, try hard (any criteria you want) give them a raffle ticket which they write their name on and put in a box. Have a draw at the end of the week for a small prize.
    Another idea I've had, but haven't tried yet is to ask children to look on Sing Up's Song Bank and choose a song for the next week. They could do this at school or at home. We use Sing Up quite a lot in singing assemblies and for topic songs.

12. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Sorry Dimusic can you tell me what Sing up is? I have never heard of it before.

13. www.singup.org it is a fantastic free site with loads of songs for all sorts of topics. Familiar and new songs. Go on and have a look, my classes for the past 2 years have loved it - and it grows and grows! However, recently they have changed the format, has anyone else who is familiar with singup looked at the new format and found it ugly and unfriendly to navigate or is it just me???!!!

14. I agree Sing Up is fantastic. I haven't found any probs with the new format. Don't know if people are aware, but funding for Sing Up will(prob) run out next year I think and the site will close, so I have been downloading MP3 files from the Songbank to save and will transfer to CD.
    To use all parts of SingUp eg download your school needs to be registered and then you will get a termly magasine with free CD of loads of songs. You also get e-mails about free training courses for teaching singing and music generally. I went on one with Gareth Malone (from The Choir on TV) - fab!

15. Thanks for the excellent tip. Re:fiery ideas, I've registered but despite having adobe, when I open the freebies I can't get them to work. Any idea what I might be doing wrong??!!

16. I had a problem installing them through firefox (it seems to be a common problem with adobe flash). But it installs fine through internet explorer and then it can be viewed in firefox. Very odd. I've been having the same problem with the BBC and Oxfam websites this holiday.

17. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Me too, Shaz. I've been despairing with the BBC site for some time about this - thank you for the solution! I'm off now to open IE (which I only keep on my comp for situations such as these)!

18. Thanks for the thread Rainbow - lots of good ideas. Winni - great website - you really have to set that up and pay for it yourself? I got my carpet squares free from a local shop, they're the sample books they have on display. I read the lolly sticks idea earlier on another thread - I'm going to try that this year. I like the learning log idea - I keep a book that has a child's name on each page and I write anything that happens, achievements etc as they happen then when it comes to parents' evening or writing reports I have some personal information- saves me trying to remember everything! I find it interesting to hear about how different school's operate and how teachers have to do their job in spite of adversity!
    Great ideas - lots of useful links - thanks to all.

19. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Yep I have paid for it myself and my lovely husband built it for me. I don't mind paying though because it is really for my professional development. Now that lots of people on here and on my Art and Music of the Week thread have seen and commented on it I suppose it has contributed to the CPD of others, which is great.
    It is also totally free from school, although I did get permission as a point of good manners. Our school site is nearly ready and I will contribute to that but it is nice to have my own space too. It is also a marketing tool for interview.
    That is quite a lot of good stuff for £2.50 a year!