1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you love, or things that work really well, in your classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rainbow Flowers, Jul 22, 2009.

1. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">laconn</font> the kids in my class have to put a traffic light at the top of their page for literacy and numeracy and then put there book in a green, amber or red box for marking. you then know who got it and who didnt and also those who thought they did it right but didnt really get it etc. quite useful once the kids get into the habit of doing it!

2. Tidying up used to be a problem in my class (Y3). We now have 'table inspection' - I use the free timer from Fiery Ideas set to, maybe, 2 minutes (depending on how messy the classroom is). At the end I inspect each table, including underneath, marks are given out of 10. Any table getting 10 gets a sticker. Each child on the first table to 15 stickers gets to choose a prize from the prize box. I must add - it's very hard to get 10 - any papers have to be straight, pencils pointing the right way up, no scrap of paper on the floor, chairs must be straight, hands must be on knees, etc. It does work!

3. winni1

winni1 New commenter

I use carpet sample squares to keep the children in a set area. I got a full class set from a carpet shop for about &pound;5. The 'Runners' for the day put them out and collect them in at the end of a sessions. It works really well because I have a rule that they can't be moved once they are down so I can keep 'those children' apart!

4. I am not sure I understand this one!
    I definitely agree with lucindanearn I think I would enjoy being in your class even now.
    This thread is wonderful to look at, even for me before I have started my pgce!
    I hope I get a chance to put these ideas into practice.

5. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I let them sit on one each when they are in the carpet area or outside under the trees. It keeps the wrigglers in one place...most of the time! [​IMG]

6. I can't think of anything as great as these ideas, but just wanted to say thank you, and I'm definitely stealing lots of these!

7. winni1

winni1 New commenter

The Works have large plastic jars of pom-poms for about a quid... [​IMG]

8. I shall be hot-footing it down there this week then!!

9. Winni1, you have so many good ideas! I've been wanting to have artist of the week and music of the week in my new Y4 class, so your website was really inspiring! Thank you!

I have a few ideas for my classroom, but I haven't really had chance to try any out yet - if any of them work well, I'll post them!

10. winni1

winni1 New commenter

Thanks for your lovely meassage strawberrybaloo. It is great to know that someone else can see the method in my madness! I am planning to update my site next term and put new images on there but I won't take the old ones off so feel free to use it as a resource. I have it as a safe space with no advertising and I don't make any money from it. I just think that sharing your ideas and learning from others is best practice. That is why this thread is so good.
    Use the site if you like and email/message me if you want any more help.[​IMG]

11. <font size="2">Winni love your ideas your music and art onw has inspired me to make a powerpoint of art for whole school to use now looking at way to put together some music. I shared this on PTRC site and it was suggested using P4C type questions might be way forward. So thanks again off to look at website now.</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Have also pulled all the ideas toegether to make it easier to read hope ive put names in right place</font><font face="Times New Roman">Rainbow Flowers</font><font face="Times New Roman">It's the time of year where we are all busily scurrying around our classrooms trying to get them looking lovely ready for the next year at school.</font>
    </td></tr></table>
    </td></tr></table><font size="2"> </font><font face="Times New Roman"> </font>

12. sorry rubbish formatting

13. Thought id move this back up as a great thread. I shared this on PTRC forum too hope no one minds. Winni do you store your music in a specific way for playing? Looked at your website and love it is it ok for me to use some of the art from there. Id already created a powerpoint of art after reading your idea and there are a few that are same but youve some more modern ones id like to add in

14. I teach Year 1 and have developed a very interactive learning environment. All areas of the classroom are used by the children during the day which obviously means that it can easily become untidy.
    My top tip - take lots of photos of the different areas in your classroom before the children come in on the first day (e.g. one of the book corner, one of the computer area, one of the sink area, etc.). Then at tidy-up time at the end of every day, give each child a photo. It takes a little bit of training but each child needs to find the area of the classroom shown on the photo and make it look exactly the same.
    It worked a treat last year!

15. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Thanks everyone there are some great ideas on here which I will be using next year. I will be taking lots of photos of my room to show them what all the AOP should look like. Was thinking about giving pairs of children an area to tidy up the swap them around each week. I might use the card idea.
    Could I ask where you get

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

'Brenden's random name generator' and this software for loop cards.
    Thanks

16. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Sorry not sure what happened there at the bottom, I was asking if any one could lett me where I could down load the Random Name generator and the loop card software. Thanks

17. Fantastic ideas!!! I will share mine when i can think of any![​IMG]
    I would also love to know how to access the loop cards - i've looked for the website but i am unsure what to do next!

18. I have spent ages this (wet) afternoon going through all the tips - amazing - thanks to everyone!I I have printed 'traffic light' coloured mini-cards about 1.5cmx4cm), treasury tagged together. After a teaching point in maths I ask children to show their colour - Red means 'I really need more help. I can't understand this yet.' Orange - 'I understand, but I need more practice.' Green - I understand this and am confident enough to explain to others'. One look around the room and I register who needs help most, once the children start work. (Sorry, can't remember where they're from).
    Re: Named (coloured?) lolly sticks - sounds great, I'm going to use it for 'jobs', but I wondered if it could be useful for 'random groups' too, for practical work? I once saw some 'games bands' for PE groupings and there were 6 (or more) colours, plus tiny shapes - square, circle etc, then numbers etc ... and perhaps you could use maths signs and a couple of other groupings. All the signs would need to be drawn on, as well as names, so that groupings gave a different mix! Is that hopeles, or would it work - once done, no need to worry, just vary which 'grouping' you choose from, for that lesson!

19. Hi, am loving this thread! Have picked up lots of useful ideas, especially for KS1! Thank you. [​IMG]
    Anyway, am not sure if this is the 'right' place but when I was at my previous school I had a special chair (it was an ordinary chair that I had decorated) that was reserved for the child of the day. This child could be anyone, and they could achieve it in a number of ways. I had the children's names laminated on the whiteboard and when I saw them sitting nicely, working well, putting their hand up to answer a question, nice lining up, good manners etc etc etc they got a tick.
    The child with the most ticks at the end of the day won the priviledge of sitting on the special chair the next day. They also got to line up at the front of the class for the whole day, sit on the chair when everyone else sat on the carpet and wore a medal, so that anyone who visited the class could see who the child of the day was!
    It worked very well with those children who were not necessarily naughty but were low level pests because the tick was individual, if Freddie sat for 1 minute without poking Jamie in the back he would get a tick, and so on. I shall be taking the strategy with me to my new school.

20. Hi there - I have just been down to ASDA and they have loads of stationary on offer...4 for &pound;3 on things like mini-highlighters, novelty rubbers, post-its packs, glue packs, pens, pencils, rubber packs etc. Loads of stuff... my personal favourite are mini-highlighters as my Year 3 class love them!
    Also - Wilkinsons have great plastic storage baskets... you get either 2 x large, 3 x medium or 5 x small for about &pound;1.50 and they come in different colours.
    Enjoy!