1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you dislike about modern eating out

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 17, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just been for a meal out to celebrate... and these are some things that restaurants do that irritate me...

1. Serving food on wooden or slate boards. I want a plate.

2, Brioche buns for burgers. Is this compulsory now?

3. The leaning tower of burger... why is it stacked so high that I can't crush it down and just eat my food... instead I have to dismantle it and eat each bit seperately.

4. Sitting couples eating quietly near loud groups of people having a fun time.

5. Other stuff I will think of later...

So what irritates you? Post below or just post about how wrong I am and all the above are wonderful if only I'd see sense.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:D That's sums up my answer to just about any pointed question.

lindenlea likes this.
  3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

P.s I can't add any valid points to your thread as I only eat out about once a year. I'm not moaning, btw.

lanokia likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Actually, had quite a lovely meal... nice fishcake starter... the burger was nice, in pieces. Way too much for me though, only ate half the main course...

Wife had a whole glass of wine, all went to her head... lightweight!

midnight_angel, ScotSEN and kibosh like this.
  5. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

I'll have to post the monkey again.

He's never wrong.

lardylady and lanokia like this.
  6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Can I be so rude as to ask what you were celebrating?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yup... sums it up for me.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

waiting staff calling us 'guys'. we're not your friends.

lexus300, lardylady, colpee and 4 others like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

ninenotes likes this.
  10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Compulsory check backs done by those who clearly don't give a tiny rat's doodah whether you are enjoying your meal or not.

Gemspecs, midnight_angel and lanokia like this.
  11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

kibosh, lanokia and sabrinakat like this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Having an 'optional' 10% service charge added to the bill but you have to look to find it. Mr SK and I went out to Bluewater today and had a bit to eat at a sit-down place with waitress service - decent place, good service, etc. I was going to leave about 5 pounds on 36.99 and saw that they had already added 3+; I still left another 2 pounds but it annoyed me.

sigh.

IceCreamVanMan likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oooh we didn't get one of them... we shall complain!

Nah, we won't really.

IceCreamVanMan and cally1980 like this.
  14. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

If the place is quite informal, then I like this! What's wrong with "guys"?

15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The suspect side salad which is for show because you don't want to risk eating it.

16. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

jus, foam and air

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Screaming kids running around the place without being taken to task by their parents. You might expect it in a Harvester, but not the sort of pub that the Camerons dine in. Did they honestly forget their kid? Of course they bleedin' didn't. Had it been sat at the table, they or their bodyguards couldn't have missed it. No, the damn kid will probably have been doing that irritating thing that annoying kids do at weddings by running then seeing how far they can slide on polished floors.

You can bet your life that Cameron was doing this himself at his own parents' wedding.

GLsghost and Middlemarch like this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I don't mind slates as they are properly flat and hard and can be washed properly.

Wooden boards annoy me, especially the knife scars from people who have eaten off them in the past.

We went to a Jamie Oliver Italian place for sons b'day, something turned up (sharing starter I think) on a wooden board propped up on two tomato tins (full). Get the junk off and put it flat!

"Is everything ok?" - I'll tell you if it's not, don't talk to me when I'm eating.

Automatic addition of optional service charge when paying by card. "Before I pay for this would you like to give me a discount? Please confirm if not, otherwise I will deduct 10%".

"Guys" - I agree.

Start off by selling you drinks enthusiastically, then are no-where to be seen when you want another.

Right of return for additions reserved.

19. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Steve-Bell-cartoon-21.11.-003.jpg
    Interesting example. David liked his dinning club!

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

MOBILE PHONES

ScotSEN likes this.