1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things you can't bear to part with...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bedingfield, Feb 24, 2011.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I have had my car for the past 10 years. It belonged to a close family friend and she left it to me in her will. She had it from new so it is now 28 years old and a real classic; to the point that if it was fully restored it would be worth quite a bit.
    I am now in the situation that I need to sell it as we can no longer afford to run 2 cars. The age of my car means that fuel consumption is pants and so the running costs are getting ridiculous. My OH says that this makes it the obvious choice to go, but I am so attached to it that I have been crying tonight (stupid I know). I won't be without a car, as I can use OH's, but it just won't be the same.
    Has any one else ever found that they have become so attached to an inanimate object that they have struggled to get rid of it.

2. bedingfield

I have had my car for the past 10 years. It belonged to a close family friend and she left it to me in her will. She had it from new so it is now 28 years old and a real classic; to the point that if it was fully restored it would be worth quite a bit.
    I am now in the situation that I need to sell it as we can no longer afford to run 2 cars. The age of my car means that fuel consumption is pants and so the running costs are getting ridiculous. My OH says that this makes it the obvious choice to go, but I am so attached to it that I have been crying tonight (stupid I know). I won't be without a car, as I can use OH's, but it just won't be the same.
    Has any one else ever found that they have become so attached to an inanimate object that they have struggled to get rid of it.

3. Yes. Lots of different things for different reasons.
    In particular I have a pair of high wedges that my best friend lent me which I never got to give back to her. I can't wear them but I can never ever get rid of them.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

What car is it? I may or may not be sympathetic depending on the answer.
    I have many inanimate objects that have followed me around for anywhere up to 30 years now, though I am also getting more ruthless. Today I had a garden bonfire and on it went a book rack I made at school in about 1975. It hasn't had any books on it for years and was a bit ugly, it also has marks of my mistakes when I was scoring lines on it to make the saw cuts, no loss.

5. I have my children's baby teeth hidden in a cupboard in two little boxes. At the time, the teeth went under the pillow and the Tooth Fairy replaced them with a coin, trouble was, she didn't tell me what to do with them next and I couldn't bear to throw them away. [​IMG]

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Parting with my beloved '75 VW Camper after 7 happy years' driving/surfing/holidaying with it was huge wrench - they have real character. At least it went to a good home - another surfer.
    [​IMG]
    Not that I have any complaints about her replacement, mind ;-)

7. bedingfield

It's a Mercedes 200. The lovely old style body and everyone always comments about how great it looks and how comfortable it is to be in. A real gas guzzler though. I'm lucky to get 25 to the gallon!
    I could go on about its virtues but I might start to sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Ooh! Classic waftiness, I'd probably cry too.

9. A vase given to my mother from my beloved great aunt Edie, who died twenty years ago - cheap cut glass, but utterly priceless and totally irreplacable. One of only five things I took when my marriage broke up - others being Kitchenaid mixer, Kitchenaid blender, graduation photos and favourite photo of my daughter.

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Could you not SORN the car for a few years instead?

11. I've done that too! I've only kept the very first tooth from each child but they're very precious. Especially the first three children's teeth because they're the only thing I have from their childhood (young childhood, anyway) as my ex took absolutely everything when the marriage split up. No photos (other than the few my mum had) or anything :-(
    The other thing is my Grandmother's engagement ring. She died in August last year and gave it to me before she died. I loved my gran so much and I wear the ring all of the time and think of her often because of that.

12. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I have my children's teeth too. In fact I have one of my son's teeth in my pocket right now, wating to go into its special box. It came out last night when he was staying with grandparents and <strike>Mother In Law</strike> the Tooth Fairy remembered to bring it back for me. :)

13. bedingfield

I had thought about that, but I have heard that the government are proposing to make it compulsory that all cars have to be insured even if off the road. It will help reduce the number of unisured drivers apparently.
    I'm hoping that I can sell her to a nice person who will look after her and bring her back to top condition.
    Anyway, making the most of half term and taking her out for a nice day trip today.

14. I have a dog-eared, moth-eaten old panda. She has half an ear missing, no fur left at all and isn't in any way cuddly - even as a kid I put a knitted woollen dress on her cos she was so scraggy & thin - but there is no way I could ever get rid. She sits on top of my wardrobe; I think possibly subconsciously because I think she will be safe from anyone else 'tidying her away', up there.

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Don't believe everything you hear... it may or may not be true.
    Would the insurance be that great for a car doing 0 miles a year and having no road tax?
    I'd be tempted to look into this in more detail before making a difficult decision!

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Don't run it, get it off the road (in a garage for preferance) and SORN it. If the gvt. eventually decide to make you insure it then check how much it will cost - it may be less than you think.

17. I do not want to part with:
    Mum's old recorder that she gave me (one of the few things she saved from East Germany before escaping from the Russians)
    My old, battered, hairless and much loved Steiff Dog.
    My slow cooker.
    My mum...she is not just my lovely old mum and cherished for that alone, but at 85 she is my carer. It scares me sometimes how much I depend on her. I honestly don't know what I'll do when she eventually passes. (Well, yes I do know what I'll do and that scares me too so I try not tho think about it!)

18. bedingfield

Got a feeling that somebody (or something) is trying to tell me to get rid. I got 3/4 of the way to the countryside and found as I was approaching a roundabout that I had no brakes!!!!! Fortunately I was able to slow down through the gears and then use the handbrake to stop.
    Just waited 1 and a half hours to be collected by the tow truck and then 45 mins home on the back of the lorry. Car is now looking very sorry for itself on the drive way.
    Mobile mechanic to come and have a look at her next week and OH's car for now to get me around. Once I know what the problem is, then I will have to make the decision.

19. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My fiance - he's going out on tour on Monday for a month. He hasn't been on tour for ages - I don't remember how to deal with him going.
    He keeps reminding me that our wedding won't be far away when he comes back - hopefully, that will make it easier.

20. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

I have a ten shilling note I'm rather fond of