1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things to do in Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Personal' started by notmeanymore, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Have booked a week in a cottage near Harrogate (leaving tomorrow). Having never been in that part of the country I wondered if any locals could suggest places to walk/visit/eat etc. for 2 adults with a dog. Not looking for anything too strenuous, just planning on a relaxed, chilled-out week.
    Thanks.

2. Have booked a week in a cottage near Harrogate (leaving tomorrow). Having never been in that part of the country I wondered if any locals could suggest places to walk/visit/eat etc. for 2 adults with a dog. Not looking for anything too strenuous, just planning on a relaxed, chilled-out week.
    Thanks.

3. Oooh, there's loads!

You could visit the Valley Gardens and/or Harlow Carr, visit some of the lovely antique shops, go to York for the day and see the Minster and the Dungeons, have tea and scones in Betty's, go to the Turkish Baths, see if you can get out to Nidderdale, Masham, Ripon, Knaersborough and Pateley Bridge.
    There's some links to places to visit here:

http://www.yorkshire.com/

4. Brimham Rocks is lovely and not far from Harrogate. Knaresborough is nice for a wander around and has plenty of outdoor cafes/pubs for eating. Harrogate itself is nice for a quick visit and as you have the dog and won't be able to go in to eat, treat yourself to something nice from Betty's bakery! The fat rascals (big scones!!) are lovely!! Will post again if I think of anything else....

5. It's near Brimham Rocks we're staying so that seems like a good idea.
    Thanks for all the suggestions - particularly liking the Betty's bakery idea!!

6. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Yorkshire sculpture park is really nice, plenty of open space to potter around in

http://www.ysp.co.uk/

7. You are only a short drive into the Yorkshire Dales. Ingleton waterfalls are worth a visit - very pretty and a lovely walk! Bolton Abbey is not far - lovely riverside location. A little further on from there is Burnsall where you can park up and walk along the river to Grassington, which is another pretty village! This is one of my favourite walks ever - it is stunning! :) I am very envious - can I come?? xxx

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Eat lots of yorkshire pudding!

9. Definitely! Well worth a visit - and lovely cakes in the cafe!! :)

10. bnm

bnm

Boar's head at Ripley is a good pub for food, real ales and wine. There's also a castle there but we didn't get that far!
    Lovely walking round and about.

11. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Malham Cove not too far away.
    Bolton Abbey.
    Haworth.
    East Coast? - Robin Hood's bay near Whitby.

12. If your're going out into the dales there's a pub at Linton (nr Grassington) called the Fountaine that do lovely and quite reasonably priced food.
    The Turkish baths in Harrogate are so relaxing but you do need to book.
    There is an Italian cafe in Harrogate called Jakes that do the most amazing cakes, Betty's is also v nice.
    There are loads of other things just depends on what you fancy doing.

13. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Don't forget Howarth Bronte country if you are willing to drive ,a lovely village .

14. Agree Harlow Carr Gardens, Bolton Abbey, Brimham Rocks, Turkish Baths, and Betty's. Haworth a fair drive from Harrogate,, and apart from the Parsonage and a decent cheese shop not much there unless you want a decent walk across the Bronte Moors.

Guess I'm lucky I live in 'God's Own County' and none of these are more than an hour away [​IMG]

Going to York myself tomorrow: breakfast at Gray's Court, Fairfax House costume exhibition and a trip along the river - perfect end to the six weeks.

15. Visit meeeeeeeeeeee!

16. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Ilkley is really nice, on the edge of the moors - and then you have an excuse to sing On Ilkley Moor Bah Tat until your heart's content... :p Oh, and there's a Betty's tea room there as well.

MM

17. You're more than welcome to join us for a cake in Betty's Lily - I'll even pay!!

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I grew up in York and whenever i go back to visit my parents I am inspired to start looking for jobs there as I want to live there again, it's so lovely.
    Definitely visit York and walk round the walls, have a drink in Betty's, or Café Concerto, go shopping, go to the Museum Gardens etc.
    I haven't been to Knaresborough for years, but remember it being lovely.
    I went to Brimham Rocks when I was a child and I would recommend going there. I want to take my kids when they're a bit older.
    My parents like going to Pickering and Helmsley.
    Whitby is good to visit.

19. 'Ilkla Moor baht 'at'- marmot. Gerrit reight!

I spent 4 years living on the edge of it and ( some years down the line) still miss Ilkley, Bettys, The Grove shops,riverside walks, pubs,friendly people -I admit those aren't just in Ilkley- the moor, tarn, Cow and Calf, the views up and down Wharfedale and the sheep.

And all there is to look forward to is the start of term on Monday...

20. Bolton Abbey, Ingleton Falls & caves, Skipton market & castle