1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things to do in Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Apr 2, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Plaisir du Chocolat, 251-253 Canongate.

If you like that sort of thing..

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

That sounds very much like the sort of thing I would like!
    Thanks for your recommendations. It's good to have one of the ghost tours picked out.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sadly, a further search suggests they may have closed. Sorry to be misleading about that.

Still, you could always pop over to Glasgow for a Mars Bar Fritter ;-)

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Visit the Castle, Holyrood House, the Zoo, Mary Kings Close, Climb Arthur's Seat, fly a kite by Salisbury Crags, go shopping on Princes Street or down to Ocean Terminal and you can visit the Royal Yacht Britannia, Scottish Museum is ace as is the Museum of Childhood, take a walk through the Grassmarket, especially at nighttime, it's just buzzing down there.
    There's so much more that I haven't written about but enjoy all the same. You can't do it all in just one visit.

5. La Favorita on Leith Walk for proper Italian pizza; Henry's Cellar Bar for live music (you'll have to check who's playing when you're there - I've seen some great bands there, of varying musical genres); galleries a go-go - The Royal Scottish Gallery on The Mound usually has good exhibitions, and it has a good coffee shop too. I love it there, it houses one of my favourite paintings, 'The Hind's Daughter', by Guthrie.

Oh, and I like The Voodoo Rooms - it's down a wee cobbled street, not far from Waverly Steps (behind the Burger King on the corner) Nice daytime food, great music, and they also have events and bands at night-time.

6. We once took a small group of Higher kids there as a St Andrew's Day treat thing.
    It was in the days when it was not open to the public and only those who had personal contacts with those in the know could get access!! We were given a tour by the Deputy Lord Provost who was heavily involved in city history.
    It. Was. amazing.

7. Yes, good point!

Loved Bann's too, and I'm not exactly vegetarian.

8. bombaysapphire

Mr BS is insisting that we go there. I bet that's the first pub we end up in!
    I will have to take a few of my Alexander McCall Smith Scotland Street books to and see if we can find some of the locations mentioned in those.
    I've just Googled Greyfriars Bobby AE to remind myself of the full story. I'm going to have to go there now, with tissues!

9. Ooh, and if you fancy some gorgeous picnic-y bits, be sure to visit Valvona & Crolla at the top of Leith Walk. Their bread is to die for. Yuuuum.

10. ...and then onto my favourite Edinburgh pub, Joseph Pearce's. Great Swedish food and comfy sofas.

11. Always my first port of call when I visit! My ideal pub (and the bar staff are lovely).

12. bombaysapphire

As well as sounding lovely, doesn't that appear in Alexander McCall Smith's Sunday Philosophy Club books? Just off for a browse on the book shelf to see....

13. bombaysapphire

It's the Scotland Street books that it appears in. I've just found a Scotland Street tour on Google - something else to consider.

14. Another vote for Royal Yacht Britannia. I'm not into the royal family but the self-guided tour of the yacht is fascinating. Some nice bars and restaurants nearby as well.
    We stayed at the Best Western Braids Hill to the south of the centre, great hotel with regular bus service into centre.
    Have a great time.