1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things to do before you leave...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Dunk, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Dunk

Dunk New commenter

Hi guys,

I'm fast approaching my last three weeks in my current school (secondary). I need to compile a list of things I have to get done before I leave. Apart from packing etc, what should I have on my to-do list?

:)

2. azzie

azzie New commenter

Remove all your own resources

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Start hiding the teaspoons.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If they are your resources, paid for by you from your own pocket, and not just resources you've prepared while you've worked there. They belong to the school.

5. azzie

azzie New commenter

Quite agree Rott Weiler but if OP is anything like me they will be bought and paid for

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Make electronic copies of anything that might be useful.

Remove personal effects well before the last day the last few days will whizz by and it could be easy to forget stuff.

Cards and gestures of appreciation to those folk who have supported your working life.

Ensure you have contact details for those you wish to contact in the future.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Leave a creepy looking doll on the chair of that colleague you haven't really liked the whole time you've been there.

Harmlessly satisfying.

9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Buy smelly fish to leave at strategic places on the last day of term?

Or have I misread your opinion of your soon to be former employer?

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Official stuff: make sure you have contact details for payroll, line managers (you may want a reference), whatever. Make sure IT know you are leaving and that they disable your account(s) so they can't be misused. Make sure any subscriptions, memberships, whatever that are linked to your current school are updated - including union details. When you hand back keys and passes make sure you've followed procedure: it just avoids hassle. Make sure reception and/or HR have a forwarding address for you.

If you have specific responsiblilities and haven't been able to do a handover, a briefing document for your successor is a kindness; same for classes you are handing on. You might consider adding your contact details to those, too.

Set aside more time than you think for tidying up, passing on documents, clearing the last of the correspondence, whatever.

Small thank-you gifts for those whose help you've appreciated, or cards.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Leave everyone - including colleagues that you couldn't stand, etc - with the best possible memories of you. If you make a leaving speech, say good things about everyone.

Don't poo on the doorstep as you leave - you never know who might turn up at your place of work in future, including the head.

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

And you'll need a reference from them one day!

13. stampedeguy

stampedeguy New commenter

get a signed receipt for any return of school equipment. eg computer, laptop, keys, and any other items that were supplied to you.

14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Make a list of useful things you do which your colleagues might not know about, especially if you have a responsibility outside classroom teaching. Compiling mine, I have been amazed at how much there is, even as a humble second in department

Tell somebody what you would like for your leaving gift!

Do what MM said above.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Forgot one point - which might be important - if you've set up software or whatever, make sure that someone has the username and password (and that it's unlinked from your school login).

16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Leaving a job to start new pastures can be both an emotional but exciting time; you are leaving behind a whole heap of memories developed whilst working there but at the same time you are also ready to get started with a new challenge. An important tip to consider, even though it is your last few weeks at the school you need to remain professional at all times & leave the school on good terms. Handing over your work to your successor is also good and helpful too, so they don't walk in on September 1st clueless. Liaise with your HOD or your senior teacher with that one, of course.

Announcing your departure to colleagues and students. Once you officially resign, there will be no doubt word will get around before you've even announced anything! My best advice, if you haven't already is not to announce that you are leaving to your pupils until the last week of term.. this way they will continue to stay focussed and not adapt the attitude 'oh Mrs xxxx' is leaving, let's just not do any work and mess around'.

17. chipper115

chipper115 New commenter

If you are glad to be leaving, particularly if times have been tough, radiate happiness.

Walk tall.

Whistle.

Sing.

Smile at and greet everyone with a cheery hello.

It's a brilliant way to demonstrate your spirit has not been crushed.

The housekeeping tips I will leave to others.