1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things to do before starting a Primary PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sambean, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Grab some time to yourself and relax!! Holidays get taken up by work for uni or school but I love every minute of it, just finished first placement and can't wait to start the next :)
    Good luck and don't stress x

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Everyone says to just relax, but I wish I had done a bit more reading beforehand, particularly essential texts. There is so much to fit in once the course has started and it would have been one less thing to fit in alongside everything else. I'd also have bought plenty of folders and dividers so I was prepared and could get papers organised straight away.

3. Make sure you get lots of folders!!! I am on the primary PGCE and have 12 folders filled so far! Look out for cheap ones but the back to school sales in the summer are fab! They're also good for cheap stationary in general.
    I would also start reading children's books. I know it sounds silly but I now lots of uni's ask for a list of books you have read and reviewed.
    And like everyone else has said, enjoy the last few months before you start as its busy busy!! Good luck with it all :)

4. Make sure you're up-to-date health wise. Stock up on all your multivitamins, get all your check ups done in the summer and if you have any prescriptions make sure you get them on repeat if you can. Someone gave me this advice on here and it has helped loads because on the course you do not have time to do anything so it is vital that you are fit and healthy. Get plenty and plenty of sleep (I cannot stress that enough) because your body is going to be starved of such luxury for the best part of 9 months. Also I would say as well as being equipped with stationary make sure you are sound in the IT department ie. have access to the internet, a printer and a laptop - these can be life safers! Ooh having your own laminator can be just as useful!

5. Wow - thanks everyone! I'm busy updating my to-do list!!
    Reading, sleeping and relaxing - sounds good...

6. tictactoe1

tictactoe1 New commenter

Start building resources; books, stickers, ICT sources, songs. Anything! Comes in so handy!