1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things to Cheer Us up ?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sebedina, Dec 10, 2019.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

What do you do to cheer yourself up while in a long term role or whatever in a school and you either feel tired, bored or miserable?

1. I just watched Ellen interview Eddie Murphy and that really cheered me up. I forgot how much I like his films.

2. When I do day to day supply, I normally try and get out at lunchtime and take a walk around to explore the area in case there are interesting shops or parks. During summer months I find lovely parks or places to go to.

3. Sit and meditate in the car to pull my tired head back together.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  2. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I count the days to go and drink beer when I get home.

BetterNow likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I used to go for a lot of walks on my own just to wind down.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  4. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

I used to write my daily rate on a corner of the whiteboard to glance at at tricky times through the day. Not so much these days. If there's a local greasy spoon I'll head there at lunchtime.

FrauRussell and BetterNow like this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I think “I can choose never to set foot in this place again”.

It sounds negative but it usually cheers me up and then I am not so upset by small things... like the HT looking apoplectic when they see me playing Kahoot! (To be fair, I do like that school, on the whole, in small doses...)

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Supply is very different to being a regular - it's not something that can be easily described until you've done it.

My year on supply was a very positive thing - but it was very hard work and I had some real lows too.

hlcook89 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

It really is the most bizarre way to earn a living! The last few days I have worked have been at others' misfortune - sickness and a funeral.

JohnJCazorla, BetterNow and peakster like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I learned a whole new mentality on supply - you cannot be a shrinking violet and expect to survive very long.

But I tell you what - it made me a better teacher.

9. BertieBassett2

I totally agree and I have always said that every teacher should have to do some supply throughout their career - from the Head down. Can't see it happening though - who would want to leave their comfort zone for the murky waters of supply? (Apologies for the mixed metaphor...)

JohnJCazorla and BetterNow like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I didn't really have a choice - I needed to take time out for my parents and when I was able to go back to work - supply seemed like a good option.

One day I'll write a book about that year - it was hilarious at times and I had all sorts of adventures.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  11. BertieBassett2

If I wrote a book about my years of supply teaching people would think I was making a lot of it up!

12. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

To cheer myself up I would think of hometime...certainly never went for a stroll during my lunch hour as I was too busy marking so I could make a quick getaway.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  13. BertieBassett2

My thoughts exactly, @pwtin!

14. hendo2015

hendo2015 New commenter

I like to think about - and list - all the things I'm not doing or enduring now that I'm on supply.

Book looks
    Pupil progress meetings
    Observations
    Organising trips
    Data entry
    Twighlights
    Department meetings...

The more I list the cheerier I feel! Great idea for a thread by the way Sebedina.

15. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

I'm watching lots of Christmas show rehearsals and nativities at the moment. That's quite nice.

MissGeorgi and BertieBassett2 like this.
  16. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I get loads of exercise, either crosstrainer or from country walks. I also prepare food from fresh, learn new recipes. I clean the house myself rather than spending cash on a cleaner (who incidentally damaged stuff including heirloom jewellery). Ok, I have much less money than in house teachers, but I have time, and I’ve not been ill (colds included) in two years. I also find nice gifts in second hand shops, books etc. It can get slightly lonely at times but I make the most of it.
    Stuff I don’t miss
    Poor behaviour
    NQTs who think they know everything
    Bitchy SLT
    Constant data scrutiny
    Parents evenings
    Constant work
    Useless “CPD”
    blah blah!!

17. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

I'm currently on my fourth set of songs and second set of words (I've spent most of my time in KS1 this half term)...I do like it except I keep finding myself singing/humming them at random times (like walking around the supermarket). I'm sure I'm even dreaming them as I keep waking up singing them! Modern nativity/Christmas songs make for terrible earworms :)

steviepal likes this.