1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things that make me happy about having been a teacher, now I am retired.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by curlyk, Jul 25, 2015.

1. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

Had a Facebook message from a former pupil recently. It was really positive and said I was the reason they had become a language teacher and thank you for their lovely career. Made me feel 10 feet tall for a while.

Having been retired for a year, I had forgotten those little golden moments I used to get from being a teacher. The surprise thank you card ,or handmade present from a child , the child who made progress and their parent showed their appreciation , meeting an ex pupil , once shy and timid, now all grown up and brimming with confidence,the child who actually says that their school experiences made them into a success and thanks you for that. Fairly rare occurrences, but so precious. Not many careers /jobs probably get that sort of feedback . I know we have had to cope with a lot of crud in our time as teachers, but it is nice to think of the positives, occasionally .

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

3. gymjack

gymjack New commenter

Yes it's the impact on children's lives that made the job worthwhile not the endless looking at levels and progress.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was really proud of having taught so many children to read, even those who were just beginning to grasp how it worked at the end of Reception.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I liked being thanked by parents and their offspring for sticking by them when others would have given up and helping them through some difficult times.

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Being picked up and swung round in the middle of a shopping centre by a young man who, although I never taught him, spent time with him to try and break up the massive chip on his shoulder.

He introduced me to his wife and beautiful young daughter and told her that my words had helped him to appreciate what he had.

I was a very pink, breathless and proud old dragon!!