1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy a drama teacher............

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by HSdra, Oct 16, 2012.

1. "And what part are you today, Timmy?"..... "The narrator, Miss.".... "But Timmy, there is no narrator in this play" ...."I'm reading the slopey words, miss"................... "Oh Timmy, you mean the stage directions. Ah, no Timmy, we act those words out..."

2. I'm with the students on this one. I have a pair of pumps I wear when teaching practical classes. Why not?

3. Absolutely agree with poor tom on this, if outside footwear is out of order for the kids, it's out of order for the adults too.
    I have had a lot of fun asking senior staff, and, yes, Ofsted inspectors too, to take off their shoes in my teaching space...and indeed we would suspend the entire lesson if said honcho didn't comply.

4. Not if the only intention is to prevent students entering in dirty footwear, something teachers and Ofsted inspectors are not noted for.
    It is also unlikely a casual visitor would have alternative footwear available, thus actually becoming a H&S issue.
    If for reasons of floor protection, that's a slightly different matter.

5. Pet hates: Drama teachers who make their students take their shoes off in drama lessons. drama teachers who make their KS3 students write. Drama teachers who think drama teaching will change the lives of students. Drama teachers who don't think that the main reason for doing drama is that it is fun. Drama teachers who don't do comedy. Drama teachers who don't do productions. And finally Drama teachers who moan about their workload - they should try primary for a while, or English teaching.

6. Ralf - I don't think you read the thread title.

7. It is a carpeted floor, clean and free of chewing gum.

8. Anything that involves lying in the dark. Impossible to create silence in the first 15 minutes..

9. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Some of these really made me laugh. :D

Whole group improv

Me: There are no weapons in the village

40 minutes later someone 'shoots the mayor/alternative power role' - chaos

Whole group improv: The only rooms you've got are the ones in the house/mansion/hotel and everyone has access to them etc Only to hear an out of role spat centring around 'You can't come in here! It's a panic room that nobody knows about'.

Students not understanding the central part of IMPROVISATION. No you cannot come out of role and start planning the next Eastenders subplot and then ensure it happens in 10 minutes time, regardless of what else is going on in the drama.

10. School:

1.) First GCSE class was 'inherited' and two thirds full of students who thought it would be a doss, those who couldn't get on P.E or those who hadn't filled in their options forms - upside was funniest exam answer ever; "We done The Crucible. I was the man."

2.) Being told we need to take on a student for AS who achieved an 'E' at GCSE, for social inclusion - not in any way considering the other students who would have to 'carry' them in their practical exam.

3.) Constantly being asked in staffroom chat's things like "But what's Apartheid got to do with drama?" or "But what's immigration got to do with drama?".

Students:

1.) Miming driving - 10 to 2 hands moved frantically up and down!

2.) Knees on shoes pretending to be a small child.

3.) When they don't freeze on 'Freeze!' they just stop and look at you.

4.) When they make a fuss about boy/girl or mixed groups.

5.) Miming eating by mechanically moving a fist up and down towards the region of the mouth.

11. "Now everybody, I am turning on the video camera in a minute. Once it is on, the whole lesson is going to be filmed and sent to the exam board, so remember that and please don't come near the camera and say silly things into the microphone or pull silly faces. Ok, three, two one...."

Within five to ten minutes, a pupil is to be found gurning into camera, or pointing fingers like gun into lens and saying "bang bang Mr examiner" or, this year in a new twist, doing Gangnam Style dancing and singing...

12. Not a Drama teacher then?
    I think you'll find that students are assessed in speaking and listening for GCSE English with at least one exam board I personally deliver and they are assessed in their ability to take on a role...
    Hmmm
    Drama doesn't have to be about changing people's lives... After all if we all felt that way.. Surely the same applies to many subjects? Science did not change my life.. Nor did Maths or PE. But they certainly helped me do alright.
    I love my job
    Does it change some kids? Yes I think so
    Production is rarely in a contract- but if it is then it is done. They take up your entire life for the duration.
    Everyone moans about workload at some point
    We dont teach primary because mostly ( I speak for myself you understand) we don't want to,

I have to agree with a previous post-I think you have misread the post heading.

13. Students who say 'would it kill you to have a window in this room?' when you are in the drama studio...or when the same student then says 'and why is it black?'. ARGH!

14. Awwww, poor Ralf. Read again honey. Love how this thread has developed. One day i'll publish it and send a copy to every one of you who has contributed.... Even Ralf.

15. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

I might see if I can slightly change this thread if I may to 'Things I love about being a drama teacher'? I'll start...um...hang on.....give us a second....NO sorry back to the original thread then!

I'm only joking we all love what we do otherwise we couldn't do it....not wouldn't do it COULDN'T do it.

I had a pet hate this morning when one group did the shuffling chairs for a car.....