1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy a drama teacher............

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by HSdra, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Suggestions from teachers who teach class after class of students sitting behind desks and writing.. about what they do with Johnny so and so... with no comprehension that in drama these students are released from the safety devices that are chairs and tables onto the dizzying plains of a wide open drama space with a freedom that to these students can be...intoxicating..

2. 41..... and how 'other teachers' complain how noisy it is when covering a Drama lesson! I don't complain how quiet and boring your cover lesson is lol...

3. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

42.. When the deputy head tells you that they can't tell the difference between students creating a piece of Drama and messing around.

43... The way no-one else understands why you and your A level class wonder around with no shoes on :)

4. 44. Being asked to run exam-prep theatre trips on Saturdays to avoid missing school or making the poor dears too tired after an evening trip.

5. NikiQatar

NikiQatar New commenter

Being off sick/on a course and setting coverwork, only to find out that the science/math/languages teacher who was covering you has completely ignored your coverwork instructions and took the class into thier room and set them a written task to do...in complete silence...for the whole hour. Now they have missed the last hour of rehearsal before their assessment. Cheers for that.

6. (Nikki - you beat me the one above by about three minutes - almost word for word!).
    45) Mentors / SEN staff / support staff who come in to the lesson to "help" a student but sit on a chair in the corner making notes

7. 45) - oh yes, indeed!

8. 46) People who have been into a Drama lesson to observe for some reason who then think that they are qualified Drama teachers and use the games / activities they saw you do in their own lesson for no apparent reason apart from the fact that the kids enjoy it and they f*** it up completely so that the next time you say to the kids "Let's do X" the kids say "Oh we've done that in Geography with Mr Harris and we're fed up of it"..... (and breathe, and relax)
    47) Support staff who think they invented circle time.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

48) In some attempt to look powerful and all knowing - A HoF politely presenting a drama scheme of work that they think 'looks good', or worse, they claim to have slaved over - Only it's one you've written and uploaded to TES resources.

10. Cross curricular Drama meaning "write a script and read it out"....

11. 50) parents evening,"I'm surprised she's not brilliant at Drama, she's such a drama queen at home!"

51) the lack of support from other staff of productions. Same old people volunteering to help on the big shows. And little staff audience attendance

deljon likes this.
  12. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

1. Having the scariest and most socially-inept ASBO-kids signed up for GCSE Drama because 'it might do them good' despite it totally traumatising the other 15 kids in the room for two whole years.

2. Being told not to make kids with dyslexia read out loud in class, despite the fact that they can actually read.

3. AQA.

13. 1 Edexcel.
    2 When a colleague calls the performing Arts students 'Performing Tarts'.
    3 On training days when the dreaded words 'role play' are mentioned and everyone looks at you.

14. 1 When your star pupil in BTEC is moved to another option because the naughty ones are upsetting them and a disruptive lad is is placed with you as no other option wants them.

2 When new year 7's say half way through the term, "When are we going to do some drama,Sir?"

3 When pupils write that the play was good.

15. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

When a student writes 'Jack's work was good because he's my friend' or 'our work was good because we all tried hard' in their GCSE coursework.

I totally agree about AQA!

16. I thought of this thread and giggled to myself today as my Y7 class struggled in vain to make a circle!!

17. NikiQatar

NikiQatar New commenter

Sorry resources! Great minds though eh? haha!
    Having the smallest budget in the school, but being expected to have loads of resources etc.
    Being asked (with a day to go) for the kids to "put on a performance in assembly/parents night/etc" Yes ok, Ill just pull something out of my a** shall I[​IMG]?

18. CHEWING GUM!

19. The sound of scraping chairs mid-performance.