1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things that annoy a drama teacher............

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by HSdra, Oct 16, 2012.

1. My friend and I obviously have too much time on our hands but hey ho............... Feel free to add to our list......

1) Pupils who don't know how to make 'a circle'
    2) when you ask them to sit on the floor and they sit on a chair
    3) 'Get into a group of 4' and they get into a group of 5/6.
    4) At the end of the performance they say 'that's it/ the end'
    5) Being told by a 12 year old their parent doesn't want a parents eve appointment as the subject isn't important enough...

PLEASE CONTINUE...

2. My friend and I obviously have too much time on our hands but hey ho............... Feel free to add to our list......

1) Pupils who don't know how to make 'a circle'
    2) when you ask them to sit on the floor and they sit on a chair
    3) 'Get into a group of 4' and they get into a group of 5/6.
    4) At the end of the performance they say 'that's it/ the end'
    5) Being told by a 12 year old their parent doesn't want a parents eve appointment as the subject isn't important enough...

PLEASE CONTINUE...

3. 5b) The Maths dept. telling students not to bother making an appointment with the Drama teacher at parents' evening as the subject isn't important enough....

4. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

6) The head of Science telling you (in a HOD meeting) that your subject is so easy anyone could teach it and that organising a whole morning of activities for 200 students with less than 24 hours notice was easy for you because they were Drama activities.
    7) Everyone thinking that you are good at publice speaking because you are a Drama teacher
    8) When you ask them to lie on the floor and they look at you as if you're crazy
    9) When you explain a task to them, say 'off you go' and they all sit there
    10) When a GCSE student asks you what a still image is

5. 11) The Head taking all the credit on the final evening of the school production in a speech which goes on about 6 minutes too long which ruins the atmosphere while all the kids are on stage and feel very awkward because they haven't been told what to do when this happens...

6. corblimeyguvnor

corblimeyguvnor New commenter

12) When a subject requirwing more written analysis of text and historical context than either the History or English A Level specification, a longer written examination and the core skills of creativity, collaboration, confidence etc. is referred to as a 'soft subject'.
    13) When SMT ask why your students are not getting their A*-A based on their baseline data predictions (Midyis, Allis, Yellis)
    14) Other departments using the drama spaces for just about everything
    15) Drama constantly being undervalued by being referred to as a 'fun' subject
    16) "But we just wanna do comedy, Miss"

7. 17) Receiving the memo from "admin support" two weeks before the school production which states "The theatre will be out of use next week as Year 7 are having their booster injections. Sorry for any inconvenience".

8. 1. When you say 3, 2, 1 and one pupil yells out 'Blastoff'

2. Scraping chairs along the room during blackouts

9. Can't get my brain working well enough to add at the moment but love these responses! Glad I'm not the only one!

10. 18. The words 'Please can you have a look in your drama wardrobe and find an Oliver Twist costume for my 5-year-old's Book Day/ a Queen Elizabeth I costume for me to wear to a fancy dress party/ a police uniform I can wear to my stag do'.
    19. The words 'So-and-so in Year 8 has confidence issues, so since you're a drama teacher, can you give her some confidence lessons during lunchtimes?'
    20. The words 'So-and-so in Year 10 was stuttering in his speaking controlled assessment for English, and since you're a drama teacher we thought you could give him some speech therpay during lunchtimes'.

11. 21. Headteachers who say 'Drama will be taught as part of English from now on...'

12. Loving this thread - its all so true! I was just asked by the line manager of English today if I could help the quiet ones speak in Speaking and Listening activities so that one made me chuckle....
    22. "What do you mean we have to write in Drama?"
    23. "What do you actually DO in Drama?"
    24. "Drama's all about playing games is it not?"
    25. "Why are they standing up / moving around / not sat behind desks?"
    26. DRAMA IS EASY!!!!
    Love it!!

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Other teachers.

14. School productions run by primary teachers.

15. Poor Tom, I'm so with you there!

I would add to that for 29. with 'Miss, I'm dead good at drama, I got the lead in my Year 6 production'. Usually just = loud.

30. Could you just get the kids to do a 'bit of drama' for this assembly/presentation evening/leaving concert?

31. "Oh you teach drama? That must be so fun! Not like teaching a proper subject with exams, etc." Er...

32. Or as my hairdresser said, 'Oh you teach drama? That was such a doss lesson!"

33. Or, as a PGCE MFL student teacher said to me, 'Oh you teach drama? But that's so much easier to teach than other subjects cos the kids just behave because they like it."

16. Tinyfairy

Tinyfairy New commenter

34. Being told that all students do in your lessons is 'be a tree'
    35. Students not attending rehearsals because they have detention or revision for a 'more important subject'

17. Haha!!! Who knew our thread would be such a success and touch such a raw nerve. My personal fave thus far..... the awkwardness at end of productions. Nothing is more true.
    36. The fake smile of receiving and pretending to be suprised at flowers publicly presented to you at the end of production as if it doesn't happen twice a bloody year!!! (following excruciating speech by head who has had no imput whatsoever over the last 6 months)

18. I completely agree! In fact, i think all these have happen at some point to me!!!

37. Learning Mentors taking students out of Drama but never "important subjects" like english and Maths

19. 38. Mr Gove.

20. Other staff in school telling students there's no point in studying drama

That it shouldn't be on the mainstream curriculum and can be taught in an hour slot at the end of a day!

Oh love the cannot sit in a circle comment!!! So true as are all the comments on this thread!