1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things supply teachers hate about class teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Quentin2, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Perhaps that's why they keep sending her off on courses....so they can have a decent teacher for the day.

2. Hear, hear! I second that.

3. Hi
    It's rather worrying when a teacher cannot spell obviously!!

4. As a supply teacher it is refreshing to hear this! I often feel isolated in schools, and the kids know they can take advantage. It is hard to instill discipline when you don't know the names of individuals in the class. I often have good lesson plans left, but have also been in the position where nothing is left. I have lessons I could use, but these are stored electronically, and I have never been able to log on to any IT equipment. I don't blame teachers for not leaving their log in details. What if they fell into the wrong hands?

5. Hear, hear! I second that.

6. As LEDZ says - peace.
    We have to work together for the good of our pupils. If the teacher leaves copious notes it's because the class are her/his responsibility - so can you blame them?
    A supply teacher called in at short notice should be doing her/ his own thing - and the class may benefit from such variety.
    Having been in all situations , I feel qualified to comment,

7. I dont mind teachers leaving clear and specific notes because I'm trying be as seamless as possible. In fact it would be helpful to have a seating plan and proceedures like lining up, how to deal with difficult students (I won't have had time or access to SEN), who I can go to for help, how they are dismissed etc. Studnets of any year group, primary and secondary, do not like change. The more I can work as if I've spoken to the teacher I'm replacing and that I know the teacher's name, the better!

8. I totlly understand where you are coming from. I have had the opportunity to work as a supply teacher in the UK and wow! do I have some stories to tell.
    I believe that if a classroom teacher leaves a desk full with clutter that only shows how busy she must be right?
    If the teacher doesnt leave enough pencils for the class then why use them at all right?
    If a teacher doesnt clearly indicate the password then obvously the teacher does not want you to use the computer right?
    And the rest is obvious, create your own lesson and don't get upset, but think how much the children have enjoyed your teaching and how the school will want you back.
    Just between us, I was always asked to come back, and I guess it came to a point where I would choose the schools I thoroughly enjoyed.
    I now work in an exclusive school abroad, full time and loving it.
    Best of luck,

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Most schools are helpful or try to be, but my essentail list is as mentioned
    Firstly...a list of names and their place settings in different subjects
    Secondly ..if no plans then at least some form of planning to identify where we should be....I hate it when teachers say do your own thing!. FGS...
    Thirdly if your not leaving the laptop then at least have a whiteboard.or blackboard.i still carry chalk in case! lol
    Fourthly..if a new school then a list of sanctions.rewards and hopefully a supply sheet or handbook.
    Fifthly///show me the loo's.....they must think we dont need toilets...the mens one i often find hidden in some small cupboard stuffed with pe kit or janitorial supplies..once i had to climb over a ladder!
    Finally some interest from the SMT...so often the only person i see is the office staff and the odd teacher..im intersted to know that the head or the ilk is desirious of knowing what is happening in the school( i was in one school for 3 days and never saw the head,even though on the premises.......they only folk who dealt with me was the office staff and the TA's, who usually are wonderful)

10. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

As a supply, I have found that at times I am simply "invisible". Some teachers don't bother at all being civil, a simple smile or hello or the slightest attempt at being friendly.
    It is hard going into a school for the first time, not knowing your way round, not knowing the staff, nor the pupils. It is a difficult job, although I ALWAYS try and do my best and teach to the best of my ability!
    I've been to a couple of schools where you get the "big cheesy grin" and told how "wonderful" the canteen is. Only to find out for myself that the staff don't eat there!! (cold chips, cheap sausage and luke warm beans). Poor kids, I thought. What happened to Jamie Oliver's healthy lunches? No wonder the staff don't eat there but tell the supply it's "wonderful"!
    I don't like being lied to about anything!! Nor how "wonderful" the class is then to find "Johnny" is a regular trouble maker who regularly pushes other kids into the walls or throws around the box of glitter in the classroom at the end of the day (yes I have had this!) and has his mum over each day after school.
    I would MUCH rather the staff are HONEST and OPEN and let us know what to expect. That is much more helpful!!

11. I've done supply and am currently in a permanent job. To be honest ,both have pros and cons but I have also enjoyed each. Perhaps instead of a moany post there should be more guidance about helpful things class teachers can do to help supply teachers as I think this is lacking. I have had some supply teachers who I've prepared resources for and who have then just played games instead of all the stuff I gave them, which is frustrating, but then I've also walked into a supply placement with very little planning and had to 'wing it' somewhat.
    So the question really is what helps? In my opinion...
    For supply:
    *A daily timetable (on the desk where you can find it, rather than on the wall)
    *Some info for SEN children - who they are whether they have a TA assigned, if they are expected to do anything differently.
    *Decent plans- being qualified does not make you a mind reader.
    *The name of a child or two (especially in older classes) who can be relied upon to tell the truth when you are stuck in the absence of a teacher.
    *Log in details for the interactive whiteboard if it is required (otherwise you usually CAN teach a lesson without it, it is NOT the end of the world, thats why its important to be able to think on your feet).
    *Praise or consequence actions- within class and within school.
    *Monitor information on the walls if you have them.

I try to ensure this is all on one sheet / in the back of a particular book and on the desk if I am expecting a supply.
    As a class teacher I think one of the most important things for supply teachers to do is to make sure they are there in plenty of time. I used to turn up by 8am at the latest - sometimes before other staff. Theres nothing more frustrating than having to sort out a supply teacher as your own class is entering your classroom.

12. I agree, I am a supply teacher and love my job. I have been treated fantastically by staff and thrown in at the deep end without any planning too! It does not help anyone by getting frustrated. As a supply teacher, I greatly appreciate as much information about the current topic as possible; afterall, the class teacher knows the children and every class is different.
    So, things that I like about class teachers:
    A cheerful note in the morning outlining the day with a 'Good morning' and 'have a good day!' It really makes a difference.
    Clear planning and locations of resources.
    A list of possible situations that may be expected in the class i.e. [pupil] may have a bad nosebleed as he has been getting them a lot. Be prepared with tissues! Or [pupil] likes to get up and wonder around the room, I have found that .... strategy works best.

A supply teacher is not someone who comes in and does crowd control for a day and then the class teacher catches up later. I do my best to achieve the same outcomes that the class teacher would have done if they were there, even if I am left very little (or nothing!) in terms of planning. All it takes is a positive attitude and I would like to say to every teacher, supply or full time, keep up the good work and love what you do.

A quote to get the positivity flowing:
    Teachers
    who inspire realize there will always be rocks in the road ahead of
    us. They will be stumbling blocks or stepping stones; it all depends
    on how we use them. (unknown author)

13. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

<font size="2">I have previously done lots of supply and now I'm in a permanent job.</font><font size="2">The ICT thing is a common problem - to get around this, especially when its last minute due to sickness, we've set up a log on to our network called supplyteacher - then supply teachers can access everything they need BUT teachers files are 'safe' from children tampering!</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Our school has a policy of leaving work, which we do do BUT inevitably, something won't quite go to plan but we always make sure the rest of the phase check supply teacher is ok and has all they need. If something I left is not taught, it is normally for a good reason and hey, life will still go on the next day.</font><font size="2"> </font> <font size="2">My only problem is when I don't have any feedback left (and we do have a pack with a simple form in it!) - let us know if something hasn't worked or children didn't understand - we can then </font>put it right. I had brilliant feedback over the last couple of weeks and when I said to a child - I need to work with you because you found that tricky, they were pleased that there had been communication between the supply teacher and myself. Therefore that child respects the supply teacher is a teacher that is important because they've informed me what happened!
    I know supply is a tough job. I did supply in inner London and various zones around the edge and each school is totally different but lets respect each other as the job we all do is vital.

MM

14. Similar, but more realistic thoughts?............Teachers who use the A46 realise there will always be rocks in the road ahead of us....

15. Whether your a class teacher or a supply teacher you are an individual not a clone so;

Class teachers: If you want something doing leave simple instructions but be content if the objectives covered are not covered in your way - the supply teacher is not a clone.

Supply teachers: Read notes left and do as best you can - if not busk it.

Both If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

16. Glad <u>you</u> are organised. It ain't always the case. I was left some books for guided read and none of the children knew which group they were in and NONE could read any of books apart from the easy one.
    We supply teachers know how hard you work cos we gave it up. The grass is truly greener.
    [​IMG]

17. Hahaha! Today I had to teach a Jazz 1930's dance to a class of 30 with 20 boys who don't want to dance...
    I was only left with instruction(s) that said: "Find video on youtube." Do you know how many videos are there about Jazz on Youtube?
    Luckily I am creative, enthusiastic and I can dance...!

18. To the many many many many people on hear I seem to have so deeply offended I am sorry. I did not mean to course any offence and I am sorry so many people think I am a disgrace to my profession. I will not be posting on this site again

19. I absolutely agree with this comment. I teach in FE/HE and my daughter in Secondary. I can't believe some of these comments can be coming from highly trained professional people. The job is hard enough, with additional things being added all the time. As teachers we get enough "flack" from the Gvt, media, parents and anyone else who thinks it is an easy job, when really, especially in my own college, we have students who are only there because they don't know what to do, and get paid for that! I came to teaching late, (after a 35 year career in the NHS, the last 17 of which were as a senior manager working across five NHS Trusts), In this respect then I am still somewhat new, but I know about professionalism and respect, I couldn't have survived for so long otherwise in the high pressure of Health.
    We should be respecting each other's professionalism, make sure that if we are permanent, then supplies get enough info to do the job they have been booked to do, and if we are supplies, then get the blinking job done as required. Infighting gets us nowhere and is divisive. If we don't respect each other, within our different roles, then how can we expect to be respected by anyone else?
    Sometimes it pays to "stick together", for everyone's sake.

20. Oh dear. I hope you meant, 'here' and 'cause'. And I sincerely hope you are not involved in any form of teaching that requires competence in English.