1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things supply teachers hate about class teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Quentin2, Feb 16, 2010.

1. I am completely appalled by this!!!
    Who do you think you are????????
    GRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope I never get called on to supply for you, you arrogant and inadequate twit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I used to prefer to have nothing at all, as then I could do my own thing entirely. Much easier than
    Literacy: persuasion
    Maths: fractions
    Art: famous artists
    Errrr and you wonder why I might not teach exactly what you wanted?????
    Either properly detailed lesson plans with seating and grouping explained or nothing at all. Anything in the middle is a recipe for disaster.

3. God you rude stuck up *****. So you'll basically treat supplies like incompetent dirt to rub in your feeling of glee at being one step up on the ladder (in your perception).
    For what it's worth - I don't use my own USB pen anywhere near school networks because I know how they can be full of viruses, last supply booking I did I helped the class teacher clean 2 viruses that were trapped in restore points on the classroom laptop after school (in my own time) and if I need to use power points etc I carry around my own netbook with a video out port so if the worst comes to the worst and I'm stuck - I can plug it into the IWB projector part and get up and running (I've also ran around and got at least the promethean IWB software on there as well as a stopgap).
    I'm just speechless that you think it's perfectly acceptable to do the equivalent of leaving a notice on saying "don't use this, it's expensive and I don't trust you to break it" to a fellow professional - that's beyond stuck up, that's insulting and I'd be making strong complaints to my agency if I went to a school and was treated that way. I put up with many things on supply - days where I was denied a lunch or toilet break, being out and out ignored and shouted over by rude staff, being yelled at for not knowing particular norms of the school (which were not on the briefing note left which I read thoroughly several times, or on the class timetable which I made a point of looking out for on the walls to double and triple check timings)... but an attitude like yours is utterly utterly beyond the pale - especially as someone who's done supply in the past.
    I don't quite know where this acceptance crept in that it's ok to treat supplies like sh1t, or some kind of sub-human species - but it's sickening to watch the utter glee with which some f-t teachers jump to condemn and gloat. Those who do it are absolutely disgusting.
    Yes I'm angry and vitriolic at that - because to be quite frank - I'm speechless that idiots like that get away with doing such things and talking about supplies like the slightly thick kid in school who can't be trusted with pencil (I stereotype, exaggerate and generalize here to just illustrate a point). You're rude, you're arrogant and have an absolute disgusting attitude to other members of your own profession.
    (If I was feeling particularly militant I'd also make a point of mentioning to the HT that the schools' nice expensive outlay in an IWB was being denied use to supply teachers who were being blocked from the tools to deliver the curriculum properly - I get enough return bookings to be able to walk away from any school where the class teacher behaved in such a sickening manner.)

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I stil dont think we should be falling out.........the supply is a teacher and should be treated with that in mind...the class teacher also is a proffessional and likewise should be treated with respect.Many supplies are often experienced teachers with a boad wealth of experience....so lets learn together and treat each other with the respect we deserve!

5. Care to reflect on that use of a posessive? Harumph.

b

6. I agree whole heartedly with this and I am a teacher who is required to leave copious notes!!!!
    as a supply teacher many years ago I was happier having ownership of what I did as it was hard enough to get the control without knowing the children. Teachers want to know their class is in safe hand... yep long term the work done nut i would rather a class under control rather than a manic mess not done to my standards.
    But of course the curriculum has to be covered too!!!

7. I agree. We should all be working together to protect our professional status and campaign for all classes to be taught by a qualified teacher.

8. I have been a supply, permament full time, permanent part-time, permanent full time & supply again - we all work hard & share a profession - this discussion should not have been started - we all do what we can in the time available & should be supportive of each other no matter what your role is in teaching. I am sending peaceful, calm thoughts to everyone - do not get dragged in to this debate - it should be - 'what supply teachers like about class teachers' - aren't supply teachers class teachers too??? Love one another - be positive!!

9. Well - I am shocked - it doesn't sound like 'iamagoodgirl' is a good girl at all - get a grip!

10. I think this is the stupidest thing I have heard to come from a teacher.
    This is clearly to do with the fact that you think you are better than somebody else because you have a permanent teaching position.
    I qualify this year and truly hope I don't get treated this way if for whatever reason I end up doing supply.
    FYI, most up to date laptops complete virus checks on USB sticks to avoid viruses.
    As for teaching without a blackboard, what about the children in your class who are visual learners, don't you think the blackboard would come in handy here????

11. I totally agree!!!!!

12. I have nothing but admiration for supply teachers. From the little I've seen it's a pretty thankless job with no opportunity to build a rapport with the students or other staff so unless you regularly attend a school I imagine it could get quite lonely.
    Lets be honest, ALL teachers deserve praise and any of us could move from supply to permanent or vica versa so it's a bit pointless bickering about which is better.
    Oh dear, sounds a bit "holier than thou" and that's not what I meant[​IMG]

13. I agree. I do supply and love it. I have yet to be at a school where I have not been treated fairly or as a member of staff. Whether it is for the day, a week, a term or longer.I have also worked as a permanent teacher. It's a great job and you get the chance to go to a wide variety of schools and meet loads of wonderful full time teachers.

14. Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I am simply stunned by this attitude. I often scan the forums on here
    but have never felt so compelled to respond. How dare you be so arrogant
    as to assume supply teachers are a lesser class of teacher, incompetent and not
    to be trusted with what is, let's face it, a widely used a virtually idiot
    proof piece of technology.

Many of us do supply by CHOICE. We like the variety and challenge of
    it and in my ten years experience of doing supply, I feel extremely fortunate
    to have gained a vast range of experience that sadly eludes the permanent class
    teacher.

And never in those ten years, I have thankfully never had the misfortune of
    encountering a teacher like you! Of course there are often times when the teacher has not had the time to leave any instruction and i see it as my job to deal with this rather than moan about it. But your attitude is just beyond belief.
    If the supply teacher is not properly
    equipped with the resources to teach your class, how on earth can you expect
    them to adequately step in during your absence?

Your attitude is a disgrace to our profession.

15. I'm in my second year of supply and loving it. I have a few schools where I go regularly and then ocasionally visit others and my experience is that I feel respected and valued by the majority of schools and frequently asked for by name from the agency. I try to do my best with what is left to me and if there is no planning - e.g. short notice illness- try to fill in with activities connected to what the children have been doing or at least practising basic skills. I'm constantly surprised by the amount of supply work there is and feel that most of us help class teachers by keeping things going if thjey are unable to be with their class.
    I always aim to be better than some of the dreadful supply teachers who were inflicted on my class when I was full time!

16. No more than we can expect from someone who calls herself "Iamaprat."

17. Returning to the subject of what information is essential, I have to agree with the earlier post about ability groupings - this is absolutely essential to know, along with a list of children who need extra support with learning or behaviour. I've done supply at a huge range of London schools and even the best ones don't always do this.
    My biggest gripe - and I understand the difficulty in getting this right -is the amount of work left for the children. I wonder if class teachers understand that a supply (even a great one) usually can't get quite as much done in a day as the regular teacher. Obviously transition times take longer as I don't know the usual routines, and the children take longer to complete tasks as I don't know how best to support individuals / groups, plus the kids usually try to get away with doing as little work as possible. I've been told off before for not getting enough done, and been frequently put under a lot of pressure to teach every lesson exactly to the letter and get a lot of work out of the children. It simply isn't possible most of the time. Plans need to be flexible to take into account the unpredictability of daily life in the classroom. Many times I've forced an unwilling class through a lesson that I definitely would've modified if it was my class. Alternatively, there is far too little to keep them occupied when I have been told there's a day's worth of plans, and find myself ad-libbing at short notice. I agree with earlier posters who say they'd rather do their own work with the children.
    And finally - class teachers you are naughty if you do this - there is the offloading of all the lessons that you don't like teaching. I've taught some disasterous lessons with very poor behaviour because the children realise the work is very low-status and usually under-resourced, e.g. rugby with no rugby balls, DT without proper materials. Often it seems that certain subjects for certain classes are nearly always taught by supply, so there is no continuity and the kids hate these lessons.
    Oh and one more thing: dismissing the children at home time, especially KS1. I can't understand why any school wouldn't give as much support as possible for this part of the day, as it could easily lead to children getting lost, but I usually find myself running around checking home time arrangements and having to beg for a TA to be present who knows parents.
    There, nice to get that off my chest. These comments aren't meant to be malicious, just to lead to greater shared understanding. Even though I might only know them for a day, I really care about the kids that I teach (NQT idealism perhaps?), and it upsets me when I can't give them the learning experience they deserve.
    MsW

18. Perhaps your management team have similar reservations about you and have decided therefore that you won't have one!

19. Here here!

20. ha ha ha ;-)