1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things supply teachers hate about class teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Quentin2, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Room_101

Room_101 New commenter

(but i would need a book for THAT).

2. I actually find the first point about leaving detailed notes really insulting. When I have got supply in, the last thing i feel like doing after a day at school is writing down the routines, children to look out for, details about the lessons etc. The last thing I feel like doing is getting the resources out, guided reading books by the folder etc. But I do all this because I think it is common courtesy, what I should be doing. So to read that someone actually is offended by detailed notes, that makes me really angry. But then why start a post about class teachers? We've all met annoying supply teachers and class teachers, I can't really understand how someone can complain about another person going out of their way to help.

3. jazzed up

jazzed up New commenter

As a supply teacher, I am always really grateful for information regarding routines, class profile, literacy/maths groups etc to help me do as good a job as I can when taking someone's class.

4. What a stupid thread to have started in the first place!

5. Agree is a stupid thread as is sooo negative.
    I am a supply teacher by choice, then I can opt out of places I do not like. I enjoy supply teaching, it is an interesting job. I know some teachers go to a lot of trouble to provide detailed plans when they do not know who is coming. However I appreciate those who know me and say 'Great it's you Jane, so I have not prepared anything but you have got the R/yr1/yr2 class if you could cover some adjectives and basic numbers that would be fine. Have fun.' We did have fun, it was Nov 1st and I just happened to have an old cloak and broomstick in the car!!!! Left over from the previous night of course. So we looked at the effect of witches in stories, in history. We looked at the Science of wood to make the broomstick. Main problem was that having turned them all into frogs I had forgotten the spell to turn them back into humans and it was a church based school with the vicar taking the assembly!!! Luckily passing through the door to the hall did the trick! My first ever supply job was being given a year 4 for 2 days and told to 'Do something'. So the children and I worked out what the timetable should be and what they were expected to do in each lesson - speaking and listening was therefore covered! They worked well as they were keeping to the plan they had made. We had a constructive 2 days. On the other hand there was a school where I did a 2 term contract to cover for someone who had left and when I met her later at another school I could agree with why she had left and that I would not be going back either! It takes all sorts to make the world.

6. I have just finished three weeks supply before taking up a full-time role in the new year and I have to agree with polobaby: the school I was at is in "special measures" and they have huge BM problems.

Working 5 days a week, 5 lessons a day, all ages all subjects! Less than half of teachers left work, decent work, there were just too many poster/leaflet/word search type projects. Not one seating plan, no SEN data and zero materials.

A difficult Yr 11 group - 3 weeks of DT lessons with NO practical? I kid you not...

And then you have a weak SMT who are very lax in the area of iPod/iPhone controls...eventually I gave up fighting the system as I was getting zero support. After calling for support removing a student on three occasions, and not getting it, I became a "bad" supply - I took the past of least resistance.

However, I've learned lots about BM and the different ruses that children use.

7. Your piece (iamagoodgirl) seems incredibly smug, harsh and out of step with most professionals I know. For example, your nonsense about IWBs. I can assure you that if a supply teacher turned up at a school and couldn't/wasn't prepared to use an IWB, there would be quiet gasps of astonishment in 99% of schools he/she visited. (What I would like to see, however, is all classrooms also having a decent norma white board - still a vital resource in my humble opinion. IWBs are overatted but still needed today.)

The key word with the debate about Supply Teachers is Reasonable. From what you say, you haven't done supply for a long while, nowadays, competitive supply agencies put more and more pressure on supplies in order to suck up to HTs, many of whom talk the talk about life-work balance, but fail to walk the walk. Consequently, I have been in some schools where I was given a long list of 'Expectations' (printed like demands, as though I were a potentially naughty pupil). High on the list was marking, every single subject taught had to be marked (interestingly no marking policy was supplied). I know that having been a permanent teacher I would not necessarily sit down and mark every child's book that day for every subject taught. You only have to do the maths, how long does it take to read and mark one Y6 child's 2 (but could be 4) page story for literacy. It is reasonable to do some marking, to have a good look around and tidy up, and to leave a writeup about the day - what was covered, who did well/less well, messages, incidents etc.

As one final example, in one school I worked in, I thought I'd try and save some time and get my stime sheet signed during the lunch hour. No, apparently only the HT was allowed to sign it, no one else. Fair enough, at the end of the day (after done my marking!) I hovered around the office waiting for the HT. No one knew where she was. After further waiting, I decided to look around the school. I eventually saw her walking along a corridor with another adult. Armed with my sheet and pen, I (courteously) asked if she'd sign the sheet. "Can you wait by the office, I've just gort to take this man somewhere... I won't be long". Fair enough, back I go to the familiar office. I actually had an appointment to get to for 5.30pm. Quite some time later she still hadn't appeared, so I decided to go on another tour. I eventually climbed some stairs and saw an office. There was nothing to say what the office was for. There didn't seem to be anyone inside, as the door was unlocked I quickly poked my head in and took a look. Just round a corner the HT was evidently giving some feedback to a rather harassed looking teacher. I apologised for not knocking, the HT was evidently annoyed that I'd interrupted her session. Who was being reasonable here?

8. Well said!! What always amazes me is that supply teachers actually complete the marking of books during play time or dinner time!! As a full time permanent teacher, I can't remember the last time I did that. I witnessed one supply teacher reading a novel in the staffroom, whilst I popped in to get my packed lunch from the fridge. Having to conduct a school council meeting, I ate my sandwich as I walked down the corridor to the meeting (this is how I regularly eat my dinner) Does this sound familiar?? Clearing my desk up for a supply teacher is definitely the last thing on my 'to do list'.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

This is the route to Heartburn. NEVER eat standing up or on the move. I'd rather not eat than break that rule.
    Are you pro or anti supply teacher? Your post was a little contradictory.

10. Was thinking that too...

11. As a supply teacher, the best class I was in had a really helpful booklet attached to the noticeboard which had FAO supply teachers: in this booklet was pictures of children with SEN and children who may cause trouble, a basic timetable the behaviour policy summed up in 6 lines and the passwords for everyhting you need, something I really appreciated and hope to do myself when I get a permanent job. This meant that even if the teacher is off sick and has no chance to leave notes the supply still knows the kids to look out for and the basic ideas of the school

12. Sometimes when you go in on supply you get left lessons that don't require marking - in those situations you can stare blankly into space all lunchtime, or do something - hence the one in the staffroom reading a book. Well it's not as if in those cases we can fill the lunchtime with planning, longer term lesson prep or anything like that - and we're not to blame for the type of work that's been left causing ructions because someone with a grudge sees "omg supply teacher not marking - oh that confirms they're lazy so and sos"... this would be the reason that, even when the nature of the work left means there isn't marking through the lunchbreak (usually it's something like the literacy work left is practical discussion type stuff and you've already marked the maths work in the morning breaktime), I don't go into the staffroom and sit in the classroom looking like I've got my head down hard at work.
    Not fair I feel I should have to do that - but it's easier than feeding the anti-supply teacher frenzy.

13. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

I had a simple answer, when on supply for more than one day I was always in by 0800hrs and busy do marking or preparing my lesson strategy. When questioned I simply said come and see for yourself at 8am. No further comment ensued.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To Gertie
    Many of us feel like that. I have found it impossible to return to teaching after having my family and have now been a supply teacher for 16+ years. I still feel nervous after a break of not working & inevitably some assignments are easier than others- eg if one is confident with the age range subject matter & yes I do find topics I've never taught before and loads of 'boning up' to do.Some schools are more welcoming & helpful, sometimes one just has to walk away & put it down to a 'bad experience' having failed to do anything constructive in the classroom. Children do react differently to what they percieve as 'not proper teacher's & often we start off on the wrong foot but I believe we all soldier on because we care about children.
    est wishes when that work does come in.

15. I did both perm and supply. There are advantages to both. I always did marking as I went along unless you get a class with major behaviour probs. Managing class and keeping everyone on task can generate extra marking so get pupils to self/peer assess. Also gives instant feedback. OF & initials to let pupils/parents/management know you have seen, assessed discussed (given oral feedback) include an old fashioned tick to cover quick, meaningful marking.

Had regular retired teacher covering my class on supply for McCroan who never marked work. Gently encouraged/commented e.g. 'if you can find time to do a little marking it would be a great help for me assessing class?' or 'I'll help you catch up with marking' kept falling on deaf ears. Eventually asked management to have a quiet word as I thought it was not fair. Told WE CANT GET SUPPLY SO WERE LUCKY TO HAVE HER! I was brave enough to say that makes me feel less valued and I get paid less - is that fair? Manager said OK and did have a word AND MARKING NEVER A PROB WITH THAT SUPPLY TEACHER AGAIN! So be brave speak up but be polite and it should pay off.