1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things schools should not be responsible for teaching

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, Dec 2, 2018.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46416421

Parents should be responsible for teaching toilet training and healthy lifestyles apparently

I know in an ideal world, parents will raise their children, and teachers will educate them, but leaving it to parents means a lot of children just won't get a fair chance to learn the basics of life, so schools need to step in, but when you think about it, schools waste hours and hours of education time teaching things that should come from parents.

If only there was some way of enforcing parents doing their duty.

maybe we need an Ofpar, to inspect the quality of upbringings that children are getting in their own homes, and fining or charging parents that don't make the grade.

In the meantime, the countries resources are wasted doing the parents job for them.

we teach about behaviour, manners, relationships, friendships, road safety, social media etiquette, peer pressure, drugs and alcohol,self esteem, gang culture, woman's rights, equal opportunities, racism,

thats just this half term....

Imagine if parents raised their children, and we only had to educate them academically. In some countries that is all schools do.

2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I’ve thought this for a long time. Some parents just simply do not understand the importance of simple things. For example

There are many parents I have met who swear in front of their children and think it’s no big deal.

Parents of unruly children often say “they don’t behave like this at home” and from experience it’s because they aren’t given rules so there’s no reason to rebel.

Reading to their children is not a priority.

Children are allowed to watch/play/listen to media that is inappropriate, like call of duty. Parents don’t see the problem with it.

Often parents who had bad experiences in school themselves will stand up for their child instead of encouraging them to behave in school. This can be because of embarrassment (at being seen as a bad parent) or because they treat their little angel as precious and don’t realise the effect it has on a full class.

There are many more examples but parents need to trust in the education system and support it in order for their children to thrive. The media and the conservatives are doing a terrible job of this at the moment.

damia69, drek, Oscillatingass and 2 others like this.
  3. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

I have a few children in my KS2 class without a specific SEN diagnosis who can’t read fluently, can’t tell the time (and have no idea what time they normally get up or go to bed, either), don’t know their times-tables or number bonds, don’t learn their weekly spellings at home. Some of these don’t get given breakfast, or reminded to put on a coat to comes to school when it’s raining, and never have their PE kit on the right day. Strangely, they DO have access to playstations and tablets...

I’m doing my best to put things right for these kids by finding time in the day to do all the things their parents don’t do, but I do wonder, what exactly are their parents doing to help me? Why choose to have children and then not invest in them?

The gap between these pupils and those with engaged and supportive parenting at home is huge, and gets wider each year, and education does not and cannot make up the difference.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

That's not what the article you quote says: I red this - The head of OfSTED saying:

"Schools can and should teach children about the importance of healthy eating and exercise in line with their core purpose; their PE lessons should get them out of breath," she will say.

"But beyond that, schools cannot take over the role of health professionals - and above all parents."

Highlighting the growing evidence of children arriving at reception unable to use a toilet, she will add: "This is difficult for teachers, disruptive for other children and has a terrible social impact on the children affected."

Personally I'd say any child who is morbidly obese is a CP issue, and social services need to be involved, and any child (unless they have severe special needs) who turns up at school at the age of 4 - 5 unable to use a toilet should be turned away, and the parents again referred to the authorities.

damia69, stonerose, drek and 6 others like this.
  5. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

I have found that some parents in deprived areas are not able to do those things for themselves, never mind their children, for various reasons from the lazy benefit exploiters to parents who have SEN/mental health/addiction issues themselves.

Some parents expect school to do their job too. When I asked a friend recently about how much they encourage their child to read, they told me that learning to read and write is their teachers job and she shouldn’t have to do that with her child.

6. maggie m

maggie m Established commenter

I have a year 7 form this year after 15 years of older form groups. I can not believe how helpless they are. Not just my form but the whole year group. Can't tie shoe laces, can't do their ties (neither could I before secondary but my dad taught me). Missing basics like a pen, no idea which day they should have packed their bag for. They leave stuff all over the place, the lost property cupboard is bursting with coats, pe kit, bags so much so the Head has given a deadline of Monday to reclaim items or it is getting recycled. And the worst one constantly sucking water from sports bottles with the result there have been a lot of "accidents" .......this is making the caretaker mutter under his breathe a lot.

7. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

My state secondary have banned the constant use of water bottles during lessons as we have had so many issues. The students cannot have water bottles out on desks but can ask permission if they need a drink. This has meant that accidents rarely if ever happen and there is no longer constant sucking on bottles, spinning them so they land base first and fiddling with them so they make annoying distracting noises. Result!

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

In my opinion this infantile sucky habit is a psychological dependency and of no health benefit what so ever.

In fact I have observed a correlation between suckier children and short term absences, and thing the hygeine of these bottles leave a lot to be desired.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As an erstwhile form teacher, PHSE grew to include what amounted to being a surrogate parent. Twenty years ago, when i had a Year 7 form, we had to have class sessions on how to tie a knot in a neck tie, shoelaces 101, etc.

damia69, stonerose and Shedman like this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

None of it makes sense to older people on these forums. We never took snacks to school or water bottles and we only ate the good meals the schools cooked daily for us, with fresh ingredients. As for toilet training, my own daughter was out of nappies at a very early age (before the age of one) and never had accidents. She used the toilet. I go to the supermarket in the afternoon sometimes and see mothers with trolleys piled high with rubbish food - so what is the use of teaching children about healthy eating or good health? We came out of school and there was never a car in sight because we either walked or went on the bus. The world has changed and not for the better I think.

11. JosieWhitehead

On the subject of 'cold' milk, how many of you remember when the crates of milk were standing on top of radiators in the winter months, with the silver tops raised with ice under them?

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Oh yes! :D. And I still don't like to drink milk on its own!

13. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As a child, I loathed milk. Perhaps I was late in building up a tolerance to galactose but I used to dread 'milk time', at school. The crate had been standing out in the corridor for a couple of hours, so it was warm, sweet-tasting, and cheesy-smelling. If I could not find someone to drink it for me, it made me throw up. Eventually, my mother wrote to the school, so I was excused this daily horror. I could drink milk in tea but not on its own. As a teenager, I got into drinking flavoured milk, such as in shakes, so perhaps it was the just the taste of school milk. Now, I think a glass of cold milk, straight from the fridge is delicious!

14. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Soon we'll have someone praising Thatcher for getting rid of school milk; "Thatcher, Thatcher milk snatcher".

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

But at least Spielman has raised a very important issue. There are things that teachers are having to cope with that are most definitely the responsibility of the parents. Now whether all parents can be caused to take on these responsibilities is another matter, but at least it has been raised. I was privileged last year to be able to help out with a year 1 class and I saw at first hand the time taken up by the school with these problems.

Fair enough. We are all in teaching to do as much as we personally can, to bring children into the world of adults. But it is important that what we are having to do is at the very least recognised, and then perhaps measures can be put into place to create solutions to the problems, be they either giving teachers more resources or somehow managing to educate the ineffective parents.

Rock on Amanda, I say!

16. R13

R13 New commenter

Soon we'll have someone praising Thatcher for getting rid of school milk; "Thatcher, Thatcher milk snatcher". . . . .

I'd never do that but I do recall when milk was cut by her those of us who lived where I did were given milk shake instead by another agency!
    On a different note teachers at my primary school received an additional allowance to persuade them to work there (Social Priority Area funding) I wonder whether that helped us more effectively than Pupil Premium

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I'm constantly amazed at the number of children in our primary school who need their lunch cut up for them and/or resort to eating with their fingers.

damia69 and thekillers1 like this.
  18. JosieWhitehead

So do I. I have a drink of milk often after meals. I have Type 2 diabetes and it is better to drink milk than sweet drinks - and it's good for your bones at any age.

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

most of the population of the world is lactose intolerant.

thekillers1 likes this.
  20. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Someone speaking with common sense I’d say.