1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things not to do when riding a push bike at 54km/h (33.55mph)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jun 13, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Take both hands off the handle bars to blow your nose.

Chris Froome took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose and was travelling at 54km/h when a gust of wind caught his front wheel, causing him to hit a wall. He was airlifted to Saint-Etienne University Hospital for surgery.

The four-time Tour de France champion, 34, has suffered a fractured right femur, a broken hip, a fractured elbow and fractured ribs and lost consciousness following the crash.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like his nose-blowing technique is too refined. One hand will do the job on a bike.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He sounds just like the sort of f-ing idiots that abuse our city roads. It's high time this condition was given a mental health description and warning.

You're wasting your time talking to cyclists about the menace they are to themselves, let alone other road users. Cycling is an addiction as bad as heroin or alcohol and if that ain't bad enough to live with, cyclists can't diguse their addiction in the same way coke-heads like our politicians can. It seems to be compulsory these days to not only cycle like a Prrratt, you have to advertise it to all and sunder in the way you dress that you are beyond doubt, a complete and utter Prrratt.

It beggars belief That anyone would still want to be associated in any way whatsoever with the cycling politicians who brought the country to the mess it's in now. Whatever happened to street wisdom?

Did it get taken off the curriculum, so it could only be studied to acquire a PhD?

racroesus likes this.
  5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Very few world class road-racers are found on city roads.
    It's never stopped you yet.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How many do you need who imagine they might be world class road-racers to be killed before a re-think about road safety is required?

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's about a dozen in the world in the last 10 years. It must be an acceptable risk to the participants.

8. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Riders of motorised two wheelers that can go at more than 15 mph are required to wear a proper crash helmet, and advised to wear all the other protective gear. If I came off my Vespa at that speed wearing lycra the emergency services would probably be using me as a donor.

racroesus likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You’ll be delighted to hear that the number of people cycling on the roads is currently in decline, in part due to the growing popularity of online packages for indoor cycling such as Peloton.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Shame someone did not tell our local council which has spent 11 million pounds on cycle lanes and upgrading roads for pedestrians.
    Besides why is it men won't use cycle lanes but will still take their chances in the rush hour traffic, but go mad when a car cuts in?
    Talking about the OP post we have clever young cyclists, they can ride the wrong side of the road without holding the handlebars and having a good conversation on a mobile phone and often with no lights. Failing that they can weave on crowded pavements without a hand on the handlebars,,,,,,
    One the other day got his comeuppance as I went past He was riding fast on the pavement...obviosly someone objected as he got 'pushed' by an old lady. He went splat but I have little sympathy as he was travelling fast on the pavement.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ooh. I hate that advert!

smoothnewt likes this.
  12. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I had no clue what it was for. I sort of assumed it was some sort of feminism thing showing that females can be as fit as males while watching something on telly.

les25paul and nomad like this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

So do I!
    The Peloton thing is incredibly expensive, too.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He had already been warned when putting on a wet weather top.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My angling partner was wearing a helmet when he came off his push-bike.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

We shall soon have to wear crash hats in bed in case we fall out ! :p

les25paul likes this.
  17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Pah :rolleyes: Only suitable for "snowflake" softies who don't like going outside in the real world where they might catch a chill. :p

How can it compare to this?

[​IMG]