1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things in today's news suggesting ways we can avoid early, unnecessary deaths

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45747632
    "Two runners have died after competing in Sunday's Cardiff Half Marathon, it has been confirmed.

The Welsh Ambulance Service said the pair went into cardiac arrest after crossing the finishing line."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45778366
    "Twenty people have been killed in a crash involving a limousine transporting a wedding party in the US state of New York, police say.

Eyewitnesses described seeing an SUV-style stretch limousine leave the road and plough into a crowd of pedestrians at a store near a busy intersection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45777590
    "A child has suffered life-threatening injuries after a crash between two motorcyclists involved in a display team performing in Llandudno."

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I hope the child recovers.

As the for deceased... best wishes to their loved ones at a difficult time.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How about not eating a baguette in Pret -a- manger

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

So many cases where the bereaved must feel totally picked on by fate/p1$$ed on by god/unbelievably unlucky.

kibosh, smoothnewt and sparklepig2002 like this.
  5. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It doesn't take but a second for something deadly to happen, as I know well, ie pricking my wrist on a rose bush and developing an out and out killer - streptococcal infection. But you can cross a road a million times and it takes only once to be hit by a car. To avoid early deaths? Well, you can't help accidents in the garden or on the road - but you can make sure you eat healthy food and keep your weight down, and you can take good regular exercise - and, having fun in life goes a long way to helping you live longer they say.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

All very tragic. I totally agree with what Josie said.

kibosh and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's reports like this that make me reach for the untipped cigs I've been smoking for over forty-two years with the occasional break to gulp something down.

kibosh likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Two of the deaths mentioned were supposed to be doing just that. I had a colleague who did similar when out jogging. How anyone can say exercise other than walking is good for you, is beyond me.

Did you know that fewer people died from being hit by East German Trabbants than SUVs? The Trabbant was built for 30 years with a largely unchanged design. Even those who waited 10 years to own one thought they were a pile of schitt and they wouldn't be regarded as roadworthy by today's standards, but it didn't have the mass to wipe out 20 people in one go. What might we learn from that?

JosieWhitehead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My friend's 17 year old nephew died in a car crash last week in an accident that left his mother and father and younger sister also seriously injured. The family are, understandably, completely devastated. But one nice thing that has come out of it was a breakdown of all the people whose lives have been transformed, or saved, by recieving his donated organs. They include a 25 year old man who had been waiting for a new heart for 8 years, two young children who got a lung each, and 4 people who each received a portion of his liver. I didn't realise this was something that was done after organ donation, but it's bought a real sense of peace and acceptance to this horrific event.
    I'm not usually a big public cryer, but my friend and I sat and wept both sad and happy tears for a good hour about it all this afternoon.

kibosh, JosieWhitehead and Bedlam3 like this.
  10. sparklepig2002

That you are showing your prejudice against big cars again.
    Perhaps the driver was taken ill- which could happen when driving any vehicle, not just a SuV.
    Perhaps a tyre blew- which could happen to any vehicle, not just a SuV.
    Perhaps the brakes failed- which could happen to any vehicle.
    No one knows the facts yet.

11. sparklepig2002

I can't "like" your post. How awful for your friend. I'm glad organ donation brought your friend some comfort.I hope the rest of the family make a full recovery.

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

No. Nothing nice.

13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Nice is not the word.

14. Duke of York

It isn't a prejudice. It's a campaign for common sense.

Whatever the cause of the accident; and I accept all of the reasons you suggest, plus many many more might be true, it doesn't escape the fact that vehicles have been made safer for the people who drive them, but more dangerous for others on the road.

Do you think it's a good idea to have vehicles that can wipe out 20 pedestrians in one go? If 20 kids died in an accident at a school, wouldn't questions get asked about what caused the accident and whether safety measures need to be put in place to prevent a recurrence?

We go to extraordinary lengths to ensure compliance with H&S at work, but are lax at taking the same trouble on our roads. Consider this...

When smoking was the norm, adverts depicted there was something cool about smoking particular brands of cigarettes. Rothmans ran this ad for a long time.

[​IMG]

Rothmans. When you know what you're doing. Can you see anything at all wrong with that? I can see at least three appalling messages the ad is attempting to convey and even more with every car advert I witness.

kibosh likes this.
  15. sparklepig2002

It could be argued that all motorised vehicles are killing machines, even small cars and motorbikes. Should buses, lorries, vans, coaches should be banned too?
    I wonder if the occupants of the limo were wearing seat belts? There is an increased danger of injury /death to more folk inside larger vehicles as well as outside.
    My flat mate was killed in a coach accident during a school trip, along with lots of pupils. The driver had a heart attack and lost control. The children were wearing seat belts, the coach was in good mechanical condition. They all died from crush injuries .Fortunately, no one else on the road was hurt - a coach could cause much more carnage in a crowd than a limo. Sadly, sometimes all the safety measures there are, just aren't good enough.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  16. Duke of York

I think you can argue that all motorised vehicles have the potential to be killing machines; and I'll agree with that, adding the caveat that some much more than others. It doesn't need to be motorised vehicles that kill people. You'll no doubt read about the recent high-profile case of an idiot on a cycle killing a woman through his reckless behaviour.

There are some things that that are beyond humanity's ability to change to make life safer. For example, if a person falls to their death as a consequence of taking a selfie whilst posing on a precarious height with nothing to prevent them falling to their death, all you can do is give them a Darwin Award.

When obvious dangers present themselves in everyday life and those likely to become recipients of Darwin Awards are encouraged to risk the lives of those who are more circumspect, our duty as a nation is to protect the many rather than the few, who care little about the value of life.

I don't have too much of an issue with stupid people ending their lives through their own stupidity, but I do have an issue with stupid people ending the lives of sensible people through stupid people's idiocy.

The reason I mentioned the Trabbant in an earlier post, was that it was a death trap, but mostly for the inhabitants of the car. I suggest that nobody who owned a Trabbant would want to throw it around as recklessly as SUV drivers do with their vehicles, but no SUV is equipped with additional safety for other road users; and sadly the people they most appeal to are those who ought to be obliged to take both a driving and sanity test before being allowed to purchase one. As should anyone wishing to own a Trabbant.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because exercise is good for you...

Those two in all likelihood lived longer than they would have if they'd never taken any exercise.

I'm sure there are a good number of people who've died while eating. Following your logic you'd avoid such a harmful activity.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Who in their right mind spends their life thinking mainly of avoiding an early death?

kibosh, bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Of the twenty people who died as a result of the crash, eighteen were passengers in the limousine and two were pedestrians.

kibosh likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You don't (in the USA, not sure about the UK) have to wear a seat belt in a limo...seems a bad exception.