1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things I wish I'd known .... before I started supply

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roolane, May 18, 2011.

1. I have just started work as a supply while I try and get a NQT placement. I'm 2 days in and am already experiencing a steep learning curve around some things. In last 2 days I have covered a year 3 class, yr 9, 10 and 11 so am getting a wide range of experiences.
    Having learnt a few things I was wondering if anyone has anything they wish someone had told them before they started.
    My main ones so far have been learnt following a last minute phone call this morning to cover a school and having 5 mins to get dressed and on the road.

1. Make sure the car has fuel the night before
    2. Have a school appropriate outfit ready
    3. Keep snacks for packed lunch in your bag in case there's no canteen

Any one have any other nuggets of advice?

2. I have just started work as a supply while I try and get a NQT placement. I'm 2 days in and am already experiencing a steep learning curve around some things. In last 2 days I have covered a year 3 class, yr 9, 10 and 11 so am getting a wide range of experiences.
    Having learnt a few things I was wondering if anyone has anything they wish someone had told them before they started.
    My main ones so far have been learnt following a last minute phone call this morning to cover a school and having 5 mins to get dressed and on the road.

1. Make sure the car has fuel the night before
    2. Have a school appropriate outfit ready
    3. Keep snacks for packed lunch in your bag in case there's no canteen

Any one have any other nuggets of advice?

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

<ol>[*]Always have a book of short stories to read or whole-class games to fill those gaps.[*]Have a bank of activities which can be easily adapted to suit any age group.[*]Get a street map book and keep it in the car - depends how far you are prepared to travel, but not always time to look up on the internet before travelling.[*]Have your own pack of reward stickers.[*]Have spare pencils/pens - you can never find them when you want them.</ol>That's a start ...
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

make sure you use www.primaryresources.co.uk
    Invest in a cheap sat nav
    Ooze confidence, mark the books properly and leave the room tidy. Make sure the basics are done correctly and they will have you back. It amazes me when supplies cant do this.