1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things for supply will improve after half term...WONT THEY??

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ninasimone, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I have just posted a reply on a thread reference the number of days supply teachers have worked since the start of term. Seems like the majority have worked the odd day here and there and many have had diddly squat.
    I recall last year that things improved somewhat after half term, usually back end of November. I really do hope that happens but it seems budgets are far tighter this year than last and I am pessimistic that not even that will happen this year. It seems schools are happily using CS/TAs to do the work of a teacher and the kids...well they are getting a raw deal arent they??
    Apart from primary bookings, which appear to be doing well for some, secondary is a dead loss at the moment where I am in the NW. The odd danglings of non-teaching work pops up now and again but they get snapped up straight away. Pickings are very slim, so what is the point of training, working for many years in a permanent post (as I did), giving of your best to both the pastoral/academic life of the school and then when one decides to take the supply route....NOTHING!
    Will it improve after half term? I am not so sure, but hey it cant get any worse...CAN IT?

2. I have just posted a reply on a thread reference the number of days supply teachers have worked since the start of term. Seems like the majority have worked the odd day here and there and many have had diddly squat.
    I recall last year that things improved somewhat after half term, usually back end of November. I really do hope that happens but it seems budgets are far tighter this year than last and I am pessimistic that not even that will happen this year. It seems schools are happily using CS/TAs to do the work of a teacher and the kids...well they are getting a raw deal arent they??
    Apart from primary bookings, which appear to be doing well for some, secondary is a dead loss at the moment where I am in the NW. The odd danglings of non-teaching work pops up now and again but they get snapped up straight away. Pickings are very slim, so what is the point of training, working for many years in a permanent post (as I did), giving of your best to both the pastoral/academic life of the school and then when one decides to take the supply route....NOTHING!
    Will it improve after half term? I am not so sure, but hey it cant get any worse...CAN IT?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well it improved at my school. Someone broke her wrist so a supply has got 4 weeks work!!

4. 1 so far. 2 weeks back here in Leicester

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well in the past, work did become more available as staff succumbed to illness and strss of getting ready for Christmas in what is a ling term. But somehow I'm not convinced they will this year as schools find cheaper ways to cover.
    Time will tell.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Last year I averaged 3 days a week during the second half of the autumn term - I'll be paying very close attention to what happens this year.

I've even got it all on a spreadsheet for comparison - sad git or what?

7. Thanks for the reply. It seems only when teaching staff are poorly or ill do schools plan to take on replacement staff...and only then it seems to be CS/TAs, i.e. ono QTS holding staff that then take the classes

8. Thanks for the reply. I agree and not convinced that this year things will improve. If anything, I suspect the merry-go-round of school budgets (and where savings can be made) will hit supply more than most, especially where schools are disgracefully using CS/TAs instead of proper teachers.
    The primary issue is the insidious manner in which teachers loss of professionalism is being constantly eroded simply to save money. I mean I thought education was a price worth paying!!