1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Things expected to know?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by chloe1402, Dec 6, 2011.

1. chloe1402

chloe1402 New commenter

Regarding primary pgce interviews, does anyone know what exactly we are expected to know/understand? I know this probably differs depending on where you are applying, but any previous knowledge/experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've been working 2 days a week (across EY/KS1) since sept after doing a 2 week block, so have been learning quite a bit from doing this and then following this up with reading up on things like the eyfs profile. I've been looking at the rose review and the Cambridge review as well.
    From this classroom experience I have seen different teaching styles and teachers planning and have understand how its worked, does anyone know of anything I could be looking at to get a more detailed understanding?

I've been reading the tes on a weekly basis, and reading the education newspaper pages to try and follow any current educational issues.

Is there anything else I could be reading in preparation for any possible interviews?

Any opinions or experiences appreciated.
    Many Thanks.

2. chloe1402

chloe1402 New commenter

Regarding primary pgce interviews, does anyone know what exactly we are expected to know/understand? I know this probably differs depending on where you are applying, but any previous knowledge/experience would be greatly appreciated.

I've been working 2 days a week (across EY/KS1) since sept after doing a 2 week block, so have been learning quite a bit from doing this and then following this up with reading up on things like the eyfs profile. I've been looking at the rose review and the Cambridge review as well.
    From this classroom experience I have seen different teaching styles and teachers planning and have understand how its worked, does anyone know of anything I could be looking at to get a more detailed understanding?

I've been reading the tes on a weekly basis, and reading the education newspaper pages to try and follow any current educational issues.

Is there anything else I could be reading in preparation for any possible interviews?

Any opinions or experiences appreciated.
    Many Thanks.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I remember worrying about the same thing when I was applying for a PGCE. And if I'm honest, I don't feel like I know all the answers now I'm a qualified teacher! I think you are doing the right things by reading about education in the news so that you know something about topical issues (eg. if the interviewer was to ask something about the new test for 6 year olds, would you know what it was a test of?), but I don't think there's an expectation that you should be an expert. You just need to prove you have an interest in the field and that you have learned something from your school experience - whenever you give an answer, try and back it up with an example of somethig you've seen or done in the classroom.

4. chloe1402

chloe1402 New commenter

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated. Put my mind as ease a bit, recently been invited to interview which is in two weeks time. I am very nervous, and trying to read up on as much as I can.

I'm writing out lists of possible questions and thinking about my answers to them and relating the answers to the experience I've done. Just hope I can remember to say these things and the nerves don't get the better of me!