1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thickie question! What is this called?

Discussion in 'English' started by anon8315, May 23, 2012.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Have I got this right?
    If someone hesitates, or swims, or plays then that is a verb.
    What then happens with 'ly' and 'ing'? So if I was to write about "hesitating" or "hesitatingly" or "swimming" or refer to something going "swimmingly" - what is that called? Is there a special word for it?
    [​IMG]
    Many thanks if you can help!

2. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

And would it be a level playing field?
    You might have free parking on it on parents evening. That'd be a gerund methinks: a verb ending in ing used as a noun.
    Clear as mud or a clearing in the forest?

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Yep, it's something like that. Is it when you say "I like fishing" as opposed to "I like to fish". Is fishing a gerund here? Even when you google it, it's pretty hard to understand. I asked some colleagues when I was teaching ESOL (all very experienced) to explain it and they all fobbed me off. LOL
    This might help with understanding the gerund but I still don't think that I could explain it.
    http://www.britishcouncil.org/professionals-grammar-movies.htm

4. tica

tica New commenter

Only most adverbs of manner end in -ly. Adverbs of place, time or frequency do not.

5. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I'll give you adverbs of place and time, but frequency?
    Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, annually, nightly, hourly, quarterly, regularly, eventually, previously, formerly, firstly, lastly...
    If you were to list all of the adverbs in English, -ly would be the most common ending. Admittedly, this is because the manner list would be the longest, but my point still stands.