1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Thickening granules

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Kinsa, May 11, 2011.

1. I'm sure that on slow cooking threads, Bethannie - who else?? - has mentioned adding thickening granules to the slow cooker pot. I don't know where to buy these. I seem to remember seeing them in supermarkets in the past. I am sure Beth doesn't mean gravy granules which of course I never use to thicken sauces (winky smiley icon) but ones which thicken without adding a flavour - like a powdered roux. Does anyone know where I can buy these. Or has Bethannie made it up?

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Is this it?
    [​IMG]
    I always use a cornflour paste and that has yet to fail me...

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Those are they egyptgirl but, like you, I use cornflour and water. Cheaper too!

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Funny story about cornflour coming up...
    Mr manny has a very posh (but dim) friend who he goes fishing with. They had arranged a day out on the river and the lad rang him first thing that morning to say he wasn't sure if he'd be able to make it due to the galloping trots.
    Mr manny advised him to mix up some cornflour with water and drink it. 'Really - that'll work will it?' says posh boy. 'Oh aye' says Mr manny, 'well it thickens up the gravy...'
    Yep, you've guessed it. [​IMG]

5. Thanks, Egyptgirl and Belle. I would usually use a cornflour paste but can I add that to the slow cooker? Beth always says granules. I know now what I'm looking for - thanks for the picture. Loved your story, Manashee!

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

The picture is of the granules that I use!
    You can definitely add cornflour paste to the slowcooker - just remember that you need to bring the heat up to 'cook' the cornflour (otherwise you get the chalky taste).
    The granules are really useful, because they are quick and convenient - although they stll need the liquid to be hot. I find then a good 'storecupboard' item for a quick 'rescue'.

7. You can also use dried potato mash powder stuff!

8. I knew it was sold as something else as well [​IMG]
    Thanks for reminding me, egyptgirl [​IMG]

Sadly it does work well when you have a stew with potatoes in that just aren't doing their job! So I usually have a bag of it knocking around. It has the benefit of need the water ot be quite as hot, less bothersome in a sloco!
    Otherwise it's cornflour or a roux, depending on which is the more appropriate!

9. I have never seen those thickening granules. Mind you, it is a safe bet that nothing like that is available in Germany. The only thing similar I can think of is Mondamin, but that is not granules (but you don't need to mix with water first, just add straight to the pot).
    Like others, I always use cornflour.
    And like Pobs, I always have an emergency ration of instant mash in the house, as it has a million and one uses!