1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

They've missed out GCSE ICT !

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by madcat, Sep 11, 2015.

1. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

OMGA

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/gcse-changes-a-summary/summary-of-changes-to-gcses-from-2015

??

2. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

3. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

They have missed out ICT, Environmental and land-based science,Health and social care and Home economics ? child development . Maybe there is a third batch to be added in the future.

4. madcat

But the others

Environmental and land-based science,Health and social care and Home economics – child development

are not being developed at GCSE

Ref - OFQUAL - 2015-05-14-reform-of-gcses-as-and-a-levels-in-2017-may-2015-2.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/gcses-as-and-a-levels-new-subjects-to-be-taught-in-2015

I'm assuming they've just made a mistake

5. gigaswitch1

You are right, I should have read further down. Lets hope its a mistake, I'm sure they would have put out a press release saying why they weren't going to reform ICT !!

6. paullong

paullong New commenter

There will be a third batch. Awarding bodies were late getting proposals together for both A Level and GCSE ICT. They were all focused on getting GCSE CS right for 2016.

@tjra existing syllabi for GCSE ICT count for Sept 16.

Paul Long

Education Consultant

7. gigaswitch1

Cheers Paul. Have you heard any gossip about what is in it ?

8. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Our school has stopped teaching "qualifications" in ICT from this year. We only do CS at GCSE and A Level now, and the main focus at KS3 is logic, computer maths, electronics, algorithms, flow charts, web design using HTML but also css and JavaScript. We cover the ICT skills stuff as 'skills' in other departments, so in one year, eg art does digital drawing, English cover using Word, a number of departments have to cover PowerPoint, Science covers using databases etc, and then in the next year, different departments rotate and use and cover the above IT topics again, adding extra skills to build on what they did in previous years. Last year was spent getting those departments up to speed with teacher training needs, getting a scheme of work nailed down and into their own subject schemes and making sure the school had extra laptops and an extra computer room to cover the demand increase. This is a really exciting time to be at our school and there is great enthusiasm about this sensible approach.

ICT has moved on from the pretty awful thin soup of last month's vegetables that it had become, often supported by ICT departments, who preferred to keep a nice easy status quo and their cushy jobs intact. And the controlled assessment cheating that goes on in many schools has become a giant ogre, rendering the qualification a disgraceful sham that no one with responsibility dare get a grip on. Now, we teach a rigorous subject, and ICT skills is taught practically, on the job so to speak, in a number of different, actual contextualised examples over different departments in different years.

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

They way you describe ICT teaching concerns me - if you teach Word, PPT etc. I have seen similar comments about CS - teaching Python. Really misses what should be happening.

10. Twinklefoottoe

"Really misses what should be happening."

No it doesn't. It is absolutely what should be happening.

KS3 CS at our school will have an absolute emphasis on algorithms, logic, computer maths, all generic and transferable skills. This will be balanced by experiences in languages, most notably Python, assembler, Kodu, javascript and also some web design.

ICT skills are being taught as they should be - in context and at the same time as tools for achieving goals in other subjects. This is perfect.

Out of interest, what is your preferred model? You are not one of the teachers who whine endlessly but have no real, well thought through suggestions to put forward, are you?

11. tjra

Mostly correct, but they weren't 'late' as such - the drafts kept getting sent back and it got to the deadline and an agreed proposal hadn't been made, so it will take another year (ie: Sept 2017). The problem was that CS claimed some areas in their specification that actually are more IT than CS (eg: 'use of computers in society' and 'using computers safely'). I expect that the webpage will be updated as that happens.

Thanks for the info that current qualifications are ok for Sept 2016 - I couldn't find any clear confirmation for this (bored of skimming through extra long specifications from gov.uk and exam boards!), can you point me to something for peace of mind?

12. tjra

It will have a bigger focus on data and using tools combined with that data to solve problems. There will be more on emerging technologies (The Internet of Everything etc) and how devices are used and their impact on society, culture, economics etc.

13. paullong

paullong New commenter

@tjra I'm not sure that you should be saying that just yet. We should be keeping this information confidential. Personally I have no problem with sharing the information because I'd like teachers to know what is proposed. I'm very disappointed with the academics who have had input and put in their little pet projects that will be time limited and of little relevance and it would be great to see more teachers giving input to the development of the subject content. However, how can teachers provide that input when meetings are on weekdays, travel and cover are not provided and there is not really an invitation to them? I wasn't able to go to the last meeting because it was in London and would have been too expensive, although I'm regretting it now because I'd have liked to represent the teaching profession - ie those of us who are experts in our field. Fortunately I was able to feedback via a colleague who was attending but it was difficult for him to add the passion that I would have liked to add.

As far as Sept 2016 goes, I'm working off 4G at the moment so can't find the documents that easily, but do trust me that the qualifications are good for final assessment in June 2018. New GCSEs and A Levels in ICT are currently due for September 2017 and consultation will hopefully be in the autumn. My main contact is currently away for the rest of the month so I can't find out the latest but will update you as soon as I can. Draft specifications will be expected to be in centres by September 2016 but it will be a bit of a rush.

14. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No " English cover using Word, a number of departments have to cover PowerPoint," Is not what should be happening. Students should be experiencing a variety of Word processors, Presentation software, Grphics software, Spreadsheets etc. They absolutly shouldn't be being taught Word etc - that is what was wrong with ICT in many schools.

15. Twinklefoottoe

Okay, agreed. That is what is happening. English does Word in Year 7. History uses Open Office in Year 8 etc. There's only so much detail in a post. .If the extent of your plan is to use a range of applications, it's not much of a plan, is it? Is that it?

Paul Long wrote:

"I'd have liked to represent the teaching profession"

What views will you promote? Who are you, that you represent the general views of the teaching profession? Do you know what my views are? Who promoted you? Who do you represent and when did I get to vote you in to speak for me?

16. tjra

I'd rather have him there as a voice for teachers than university lecturers, business representatives, CAS and BCS members.

17. paullong

paullong New commenter

@Twinklefoottoe calm down - I'm only representing in the form of turning up as someone who has the interests of the teaching profession foremost. We don't need an election etc and it's not a promotion as it's unpaid. You are welcome to go too if you are able to get out of school.

If you'd like to know more about me then have a look at my website (easily found by Googling) - www.paullong.net - I also still teach occasionally and meet with over a hundred ICT teachers each year in schools and at training courses. I'm also in regular email and forum contact so I have a pretty good idea of what the general feelings are of teachers. I'm here to help, not to cause you a headache.

I've also heard back that the DfE still had some questions regarding GCSE and A Level ICT and that's another reason they weren't included in the September round of consultations but it is hoped they will be included in the October round.

Paul Long

Education Consultant

18. madcat

19. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

If English teach the use of Word I assume they teach page breaks, margins and other forgotten basic layout techniques that most 16 year olds I see straight from school do not have the first clue about. Lets not get to carried away about some of these changes, time will judge if they are right.