1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

They've dropped a clanger

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I see that Ian Bell's test match career looks to be over as he's finally been dropped from the team for the South Africa tour. My personal view is that this move is long overdue and I'm baffled why he was kept in the team for as long as he has been, considering how disappointing his performance has been for so long.

Surely it would have been better to drop him a year ago to encourage him to fight his way back into the form that's required?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Long overdue.

I have a theory about Bell. Not sure if statistics bear it out as I don't have the figures but here goes.

Most of his big innings came when England were in a comfortable position in the game or England were first to bat. He very rarely came out and made a big score if England were on the back foot.

All this 'cultured batsman' and 'silky skill' stuff. Just make some bloody runs when it counts!

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Cricket

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz..........

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

My father always said the same about the late Tom Graveney - he preferred a Barington type of player who would be at his best when things were tough.

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

That's the sound of your vuvuzela then Aspen
    Not very British but a real fan nevertheless :)