1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

These new ks2 X table tests they're bringing in...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by summlard, Jan 4, 2016.

1. summlard

summlard New commenter

so what are people's thoughts on the latest pointless initiative? Something else to stress both teachers and students!!

2. MathsWhizz91

MathsWhizz91 New commenter

In principal, I agree with it.
    In reality, I feel sorry for the children. Not only do we put them through demanding SATs papers, we now demand them to sit a times tables to prove they know them. It's insulting to the children that they would be capable of sitting these challenging and somewhat pointless tasks in the new curriculum without knowing/using their times tables to be able to solve them.

In my school, I have advised staff that there is not time in our maths lessons to "teach" times tables, and a key problem is that children are no longer required to memorise anything. So, I have suggested that everyone does 10 minutes straight after lunch in the afternoon and call is "Quick Maths". During this session, we will do chanting/songs to learn their times tables and games; each Friday- the children complete a times tables quiz and then they will try to better their "personal best" scores each week. Hopefully, if we tackle this now from year 3, EVERY DAY FOR 10 MINUTES, the children will learn their times tables better for when they get to year 6!

Middlemarch and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

I agree. A daily slot of ten minutes for quick recall of arithmetic facts has helped with speed and fluency across our school. We don't stick to just multiplication but use the time to practise all number ops.
    There are lots of resources out there to choose from.

4. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

My thoughts ...
    What is an 'on-screen check' which is apparently how these tests will be carried out? And how will cheating be prevented?

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

actually I have absolutely no objection to a times table test. Especially as i spent 20 years teaching secondary maths to children who had very poor basic skills.
    But sadly it will merely be added to an existing pile of tests that is already excessive.
    if the package was reduced to reading comp, times table and spelling tests, I would consider that to be plenty.
    re maths testing, I came to the conclusion years ago that you learn as much from a short mental test and tables test as you do from several hours of formal written tests. Especially as regards ranking pupils by ability, which is pretty much all you take out of any test, particularly a few weeks or months later.

7. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

Every primary child should know their "tables"! Being able to recall a "table* instantly gives them the basic confidence to do maths! Only a small percentage, say 20%, will have a natural aptitude for maths understanding, and become naturally talented mathematicians!.....the rest of us " got through" maths by a lot of rote learning e.g. division of fractions...."turn upside down and multiply!" I did get my "O" and "A" level maths, but only by "test cramming".......make your students learn their tables like parrots and watch their general maths' confidence grow! PS. 2O years ago a maths advisor suggested I took the register not by names and wasting valuable time ( "Good morning, Fiona....good morning Mr Wright") but by giving every one of my class a "table"......When I called out "7 nines".....a child called out 63 and I marked him/her present! By Christmas, I assure you, the whole class knew each others' answers, and because I carried on with "tables' register for the entire year, I had no need to do specific table chanting or similar! 2 minutes wasted calling out the register adds up to a lot of minutes per term!!!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Seems fine to me. A quick tables test is something that children should be doing most weeks from year 2, so hardly a stress in year 6.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

good idea, i will try that in the afternoons as a variance from french!

teacup71 likes this.
  10. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

So much more in the curriculum now.