1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

These mysterious'Toxins': what exactly are they?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by inky, Mar 12, 2012.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd like to see them named and shamed. The vague word toxin covers a mutitude of sins. When they are drained and/or eliminated etc, what exactly is being drained and/or eliminated?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd like to see them named and shamed. The vague word toxin covers a mutitude of sins. When they are drained and/or eliminated etc, what exactly is being drained and/or eliminated?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fags and booze inky!
    Now Inky.....you know toxins is meaningless in this context, and the good old liver (together with kidenys) does a splendid job ridding the body of all manner of nasties. We don't 'drain' toxins or 'eliminate' them but we do pee them out and, literally, 'flush' them away! Pesky little blighters [​IMG]
    *note to self. Get off bad science soapbox and have a day off*

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Can't they be E numbers, preservatives, monosodium glutamate and the likes?

6. BelleDuJour

No. Toxins are poisons and the body produces many quite naturally (hydrogen peroxide, ammonia to name just two). The liver de-toxifies and the kidney removes from the blood.
    We also add toxins. Alcohol, for example, is a poison but the liver deals with this too.
    Some toxins get in through bacteria, such as food poisoning.
    But E numbers......no. Even vitamins ans minerals have E numbers, preservatives are generally not known to be toxic in the amounts used (although I'd prefer fresh food without preservatives but remember salt, sugar and vinegar are all preservatives) and monosodium glutamate is not toxic (unless force fed to rats in ludicrously vast quantities).

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for that, Belle.You can tell I haven't got a scientific bone in my body. Still and all I bet that Coca Cola is a toxin. I have never tasted anything so poisonous in my life!

8. BelleDuJour

You are most welcome!
    LOL!
    Not sure about Coca Cola as the exact ingedients are a mystery. But I know it contains over-ripe (brown) bananas. Once you know that you can smell and taste them!
    BTW Nutella.............I am on a mission to tackle bad science on these forums so watch and learn [​IMG]

9. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi Belle - come and join me on the echinacea thread explaining why "it always makes me feel better" doesn't carry as much weight as a properly conducted double blind randomised trial.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Yes, ma'am. *nutella clicks heels and salutes*[​IMG]

11. You're brave, Ruthie!
    I have given up trying to explain such things to the converts - like homeopathy (and yes, I know I am about to get hit by a disintigration beam [​IMG])