1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“These figures should sound the alarm for anyone who cares about democracy,” 9.4 million voters down

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Sep 27, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Again, you don't seem to know or care abut the difference between North Korea (a dictatorship) and Australia (a democracy)(. Or maybe you DO know the difference, but lie to try to make a point... Pathetic.

NB There are 22 countries where voting is compulsory... Yeah, really. Not just NK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I would certainly favour automatic registration of voters, even if the use of that vote remains optional. Everyone who pays tax should be automatically registered, and the remainder mopped up as part of the welfare benefits system - eg OAPs.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That would leave quite a few unregistered (non-working partners, low earners, students).

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Given that the police now seem to have the ability to track down criminals and feel their collars within days of a crime being committed, it surely isn't beyond the wit of mankind to be able to use whatever technololgy the police use to do this to locate every soul of voting age in Britain, along with eligable Britons living overseas and register them as being eligable to vote.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Funny - I was under the impression that the vote has not been ignored at all. In fact May spent almost three years trying to sort out a deal with the EU that would honour the vote and make sure the country didn't go down the pan in the process.

The last three and a half years has been about nothing but trying to leave. Incompetently so, but nonetheless, the vote has not been ignored.

Now, if it HAD been ignored - if May, or indeed Cameron - had said 'right, well a tiny majority of those who voted, voted leave, but we're going to stay anyway, then your comment would be valid, but it isn't.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I thought oaps were one of the main voters in elections in the UK

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

In a democracy, why should the opponents of a democratic outcome have to like that outcome? Isnt being in opposition to a democratic decision the correct democratic behaviour?

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yeah, Frank. One of them is Libya. The Congo is another. And Egypt. And Turkey. So you know what? Compulsory voting guarantees nothing - except compulsion.

theselofane likes this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No one's required to like it. We're required to accept it.

theselofane likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

And others are?

Oh yes,

Australia
    Belgium
    Luxembourg
    Singapore
    Switzerland (part of)
    Bulgaria
    Greece
    For example.

We can all play 'pick & choose' you know... ;)

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You might be right except for the fact that the vote was indicative and not binding, and that maybe all the 11 million who couldn't vote may have voted remain, thereby rendering your tone irrelevant in its entireity. Ask Nigel what you should write next.

12. theselofane

theselofane Occasional commenter

And you will never know.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"Indicative" my foot. It wouldn't have been "indicative" if Remain had won, now would it?

theselofane likes this.
  14. MAGAorMIGA

They are, but I'm discussing the 9.4 million eligible to vote who aren't registered. That must include some OAPs, even if students and the low paid - renters, who are far more likely to be unregistered.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

But that would not have triggered article 50 and there would have been no fuss, as the "will of the people" (indicative, yes, so you are wrong) would have been to remain in the EU. Not that it would have shut braying bumhole Farage up. (Or other misguided anti EU people, of which I assume you are one).You cannot have it both ways.

16. oldsomeman

Maybe you need to find out why they do not vote..from my limited experience they dont vote so they stay outof governmentt records,many do not want to noted as living in an area .Others dont give a dam,some think all parties are rubbish and a few others I have met are 'house sharing' and do dp not want the councilt o find out which might result in them being turfed out,
    Not a big selection but a few I have met.

17. MAGAorMIGA

9.4 million authorities-dodgers? You reckon?

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The 9.4 million identified by the Electoral Commission is the number of people "not correctly registered at their current address". Believed to be people who have moved but not signed onto the electoral roll at their new address (thought to be mainly renters and students who tend to move around quite a lot, although it probably also includes some ineligible and fraudulent entries).

19. oldsomeman

No, not really. I did say in my rather limited experience.I thought you were looking for reasons.