1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“These figures should sound the alarm for anyone who cares about democracy,” 9.4 million voters down

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Sep 27, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rrectly-registered?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

More than 9 million eligible UK voters 'not correctly registered'

Electoral Commission research prompts renewed calls for automatic registration

More than 9 million people who are eligible to vote in the UK are not correctly registered and are at risk of not being able to have their say in a potential snap election, according to research.

The finding sparked renewed calls for Britain to follow Canada and Finland, among other countries, who automatically register voters. One other potential model would enable people to opt in when they engage with government bodies such as the DVLA, NHS and welfare agencies.

Research by the Electoral Commission analysed electoral registers and found that 17% of eligible voters in Great Britain, as many as 9.4 million people, were either missing from the electoral register or not registered at their current address, with major errors affecting up to 5.6 million people.

It highlighted stark differences in registration levels between younger people, renters, low-income and black and ethnic minority people, compared with older white people who own their homes.

The study also showed that the number of people not correctly registered had risen from 16% of eligible voters in 2015, representing as many as 8.3 million people.

“These figures should sound the alarm for anyone who cares about democracy,” said Dr Jess Garland, from the Electoral Reform Society (ERS). “That more than 9 million people are not correctly registered is a major barrier to political equality and democratic engagement. It means any snap election will almost certainly be on the basis of an incomplete franchise, with millions missing.

“You shouldn’t have to opt in to your right to vote. As the Electoral Commission note, we need to move towards automatic registration now, starting with being able to check you are registered online, and being able to register whenever you engage with government bodies or services. We know this works from other countries.”

The ERS has also called for same-day registration systems to be trialled, allowing people to sign up on election day, as well as an online service to find out if people are registered.

Georgie Laming, from the housing campaign group Generation Rent, said renters in the UK frequently moved home, often due to rising rents and lack of security, and that making registration easier would help the 11 million private renters have their voices heard.

“There are some simple ways that registering to vote can made easier for renters, by integrating registration with services lots of renters use like paying their council tax locally,” she said.

In 2014, the government introduced individual voter registration to reduce the possibility of electoral fraud. This prevented universities from registering students en bloc.

Earlier this year, voter ID was made compulsory in 10 voting districts despite voter impersonation making up just 3% of all alleged electoral offences at the previous local election.

Labour announced in April it would consider introducing automatic voter registration to increase election turnout.

Bridget Phillipson MP, who represents the Speaker’s committee on the Electoral Commission, said this month it was impossible to determine the number of people entirely missing from the registers because there was not a “consistent, unique identifier for individual electors on the registers”.

More than 100,000 people applied to register to vote in two days this month, with young people making up the bulk of the surge. However, it followed an almost 1% overall drop in those registered to vote between 2017-18.

There needs to be major push to enfranchise these voters.

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

So they can have their vote ignored?

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why bother? As if it matters...

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Interestingly, last week I was called to the door of my estate by a woman with half a dozen kids in tow who wanted to deliver electoral registration forms from the council.

I told her it's a secure building and I couldn't allow her to come in with all those kids, but if she wanted me to, I would post the forms through the relevant addresses for her.

She seemed grateful for that and handed then over.

I posted the five ones addressed to the estate, but there were another ten she gave me that were for other addresses in the road the estate is in.

Can anyone suggest a reason this mail isn't being dealt with by the Post Office, rather than a woman in desperate need of child minders, hoping she'll be able to earn the money to treat her kids with something other than a tin of beans from the food bank?

monicabilongame and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Because it's unjust.

6. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

What is unjust is having a vote and then not implementing the result of the vote. Matters not a jot how many people vote if the result is not respected.

needabreak and install like this.
  7. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

We have acquaintances - I wouldn't say friends - who live in a much nicer house than we do. He has never registered to vote so they can state his residence is elsewhere and claim a single dweller's council tax reduction here. It's not even worth that much money, but hey-ho. So not all injustices are the fault of the evil vile Tories. It isn't actually all that hard to register if you want to.

Oscillatingass and needabreak like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

I agree voting and democracy should go together. Sadly, it hasn't lately. Voting has become a laughable game - and so has the behaviour of uk MPs when they do not like an outcome.

artboyusa likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Everyone has their price and most people despite their cries about injustice will try to minimise their own financial and social costs whether or not it infringes on someone else's situation, but it is easier to point to sections of society to blame for this selfish behaviour which might in fact simply be part of the human condition.

10. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Badger.... "What is unjust is having a vote and then not implementing the result of the vote. Matters not a jot how many people vote if the result is not respected."

If the result is achieved by lies and deception it cannot be respected.

--Badger--, Yesterday at 10:02 PM Report

11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It seems a larger number than I would have expected, but I am aware of a number of people who are not registered, simply because they don't have any interest in voting. I find that incomprehensible, but that's just me, I suppose. I don't watch "Strictly" or "X Factor", and some people probably find that incomprehensible.

12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Some 13 million of the total electorate did not vote in the 2016 EU referendum.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I have said before I think we now need to follow countries like Australia, and make it compulsory to vote (those who don't want to choose can, of course, spoil their ballot paper). Voting should be seen, along with duties like jury service, as an obligation that comes with citizenship.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

You have to be careful though, Frank: don't spoil your paper by drawing a penys on it: it could be misconstrued as a vote for Boris.

TCSC47, MAGAorMIGA and FrankWolley like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

Why should anyone register or be forced to when voting becomes meaningless? Not registering to vote maybe a protest for some - and legal.

theselofane likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

:D

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Everything you like should be compulsory, Frank. That'll show us what a free society we live in.

theselofane likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

So presumably you can't find an argument against compulsary voting, as in Australia...

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"Compulsory" voting in Australia is proving unpopular among the young. In Melbourne, where the median age of voters is only 30, turnout was below 82% in the most recent general election - similarly in Sydney (median age of 32). Not a great deal higher than the 72.2% in the UK's latest referencum, for which there was no compulsory voting.

As in most countries with compulsory voting, many prefer to pay the very low penalty ($20 aus) rather than register to vote.

theselofane and install like this.
  20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Voting's compulsory in North Korea too, Frank. A vote without a choice or a vote that can be dismissed if it's inconvenient means nothing.

theselofane likes this.