1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theresa May to Africa: Here, take more money

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 28, 2018.

?

Should the UK:

1. Increase financial aid to Africa?

40.9%
  2. Cut some financial aid to Africa?

18.2%
  3. Cease financial aid to Africa?

40.9%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

As a general question, why should we provide the continent of Africa with more money when even its wealthiest countries have yet to show that they can fruitfully use the aid they currently receive and the money they currently generate? Now, to a particular question:

Theresa May to pledge Africa investment boost after Brexit

'She will announce an "ambitious new approach" to the UK's aid spending in Africa, by using it to help British private sector companies invest on the continent.

Private sector investment is key to driving growth and "unleashing the entrepreneurial spirit" in Africa, she will say.
    '
    BBC.co.uk, 28th August 2018.

Now that the Conservatives have allowed private interests to raid British Education, Health and Justice, isn't this May proposing that private interests be allowed also to raid the UK's foreign aid budget, i.e. funnelling more money to Tory cronies?

Thank you in advance for your poll response.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Pffft.
    Meaning "desperate bid of the thoroughly ostracised to reinstate quasi colonial presence, by hitting the place where they're least likely to say "no" ".

Next stop-Honduras.

monicabilongame likes this.
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Why break up our partnership with Europe to substitute it with one with Africa? Bonkers.

les25paul and needabreak like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

The new African partnership seems to be that we will give them money so that they do not send us illegal immigrants & terrorists.

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What could possibly go wrong?

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Seems a reasonable ambition to make African countries more attractive to their populations, but given May's record as Home Secretary and PM, I doubt if she is the person to deliver it.

7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I have absolutely no confidence in our PM even to run a bath but then my regular critics won’t be surprised by my lack of faith in the wheat chaser...

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Our partnership with Europe is not being "broken up". Our trading relationship with the EU is expected to change from membership to free trade agreement, the latter allowing us to make our own trade agreements for the first time in more than 40 years.

9. Vince_Ulam

It is just out of camera but she has a hat on the ground:

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Out of nothing, comes nothing.

les25paul and artboyusa like this.
  11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Good to see someone knows what on earth is going on. Do the Cabinet agree with you?

12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Has not the 'investing in Africa' bus already gone? The Chinese have been at for decades.

kibosh, red_observer and nomad like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

China is the biggest player in Africa these days as you say.

kibosh likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

(fwiw This thread makes me no happier to use the word "Africa" than I was yesterday-it is not a bunch of 54 countries of equal propensity to siphon up investment with a hungry and corrupt straw , but I suppose if the BBC don't care then why should anyone here? Just saying.
    54 completely different countries.)

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not that different to people using "Europe" when they mean the EU.

Or "America" when they mean the USA.

It's a shorthand. For sure do we mean North Africa or subsahara Africa. West or East. Central or Southern. But as an area of common cultural economic and societal characteristics... a shorthand.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is she not just trying to compete with the Chinese?Do the Chinese use public money for their expansion into the African continent?

Eta: sorry just read the thread and see the points have already been made

17. Vince_Ulam

She cannot possibly compete with the Chinese. Their GDP is around six times ours. Either she is a cad, doling out our dosh to her mates or she is a sincere idiot who thinks that the British people want to see foreigners receive ever more aid at their expense.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No point in telling me this, have you told her yet ;)

19. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It’s a sop to the right wing Tories who don’t want to see aid going to deserving causes but instead would rather it makes money for their pals.

red_observer likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

They need our aid money - we want a business return. About time. Well done Theresa:cool:

blazer likes this.