1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theresa May takes the UK to war

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 14, 2018.

1. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed. I haven't read that since I was in what is now year 6 and that was some considerable time ago.

2. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

kibosh likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thanks... though one snag... now I haven't got a clue...

So in my cluelessness do I assume my government has a clue? Or do I assume they are as clueless as I am? Probably the latter...

4. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Maybe one possible solution might be to keep an eye on Patrick Cockburn to see if he comes out with anything specific. From what I have read of him, he is more circumspect than Fisk and comes with less baggage.

kibosh likes this.
  5. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I can't see why this episode is so hard to verify. Numerous people died (horribly according to the pictures). Find their bodies, carry out autopsies, speak to their families.

This should not be too difficult.

6. needabreak

Two issues here hopefully no surprise to you, one exists the other is a fictional place but more importantly if it's safe for journalists it's safe for other interested parties.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As usual Private Eye is spot on:

[​IMG]

8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Look at the problems faced verifying Salisbury... the UK government says one thing, elements of the media say another, folks online call into question the official account, Russia says something else happened...

Now add that to a war zone with competing foreign interests... I'm not surprised it's proving hard to ascertain the nature of events.

border_walker likes this.
  10. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Not really. 70 people died horrible deaths according to reports. If 70 people died in such a way in my local area you can be pretty sure that hundreds if not thousands would know about it. There would be widespread anger particularly if it involved the killing of children by our own Government.

Journalists are already in the area. The hospital even. Where is the BBC's foreign correspondent or CNN's? Never mind the chemicals, where are all these bodies? They have shown the dead in previous attacks so why not now? Interviews with enraged locals?

It is still not making sense.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  11. needabreak

It is helpful that the labels are translated in English... just saying. Where did this video come from? Does it mean it was an accident? I have no idea what this implies... are the Russians saying the UK & USA were right? Seems odd.

I'm not sure I believe anything I see in videos or read or even hear in the media anymore... will have to go back to my ostrich mode.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, some journalists got an official tour...

That's a bit different to medical teams coming into a war zone, with the infrastructure shot, lab work needing to be sent overseas, medical priorities being the injured civilians of the community itself plus a regime that is going to be defensive after being shelled by Western powers before any evidence has been found.

As for where the correspondents are... I suspect that Damascus has become unwilling to hand out visas to media organisations they might now deem unfriendly to the regime...

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Douma, the place allegedly bombed with chemical weapons. Both sides have used them.

Scintillant likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The weapons inspectors have been postponed again. This time it is apparently because a UN security team was shot at ahead of the planned arrival of the inspectors, according to the head of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapon, leaving doubts that it was safe tp begin the inspection.

border_walker and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

“We have handed to the fact-finding mission of the OPCW all the information we gathered about the chemical attack, including the exact burial place of the victims,” Raed Saleh of the Syrian "White Helmets" organisation, who is based in Turkey, told Reuters today. As I stated above, it has just been announced that the OPCW have again been prevented from starting their inspection.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ions-of-suspected-attack-graves-idUSKBN1HP1E9

border_walker and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  16. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Or,
    - 'Douma, the place allegedly bombed with chemical weapons. Allegedly both sides have used them'.

Or
    - 'Allegedly Douma, the place allegedly bombed with chemical weapons. Both sides have used them

Or
    - Allegedly Douma, the place allegedly bombed with chemical weapons. Allegedly both sides have used them'.

Or,
    - 'Douma, the place bombed with chemical weapons. Both sides have used them'.

Take your pick depending on your bias.

kibosh and needabreak like this.
  17. needabreak

I meant who filmed it.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I remember an incident on the Shankill Road when a young girl was crushed by an army armoured car. It was a day of demonstration and hundreds lining the road where the incident happened were extremely angry having witnessed it.
    It hadn't happened.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is this a rebel stronghold gassed by Assad's regime or an area loyal to Assad but gassed by his regime, or a rebel stronghold gassed by rebels, or a loyal enclave gassed by rebels?

kibosh and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Were other munitions being used at the time of the gas attack?