1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theresa May takes the UK to war

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 14, 2018.

1. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I can't help thinking we're seeing an awful lot of that one clip in a room with a few men in flip flops hosing down a few children and using inhalers. I am no expert but the kids look more traumatised by having their faces pelted with water than anything else. It could easily be genuine, but just as easily be faked. As usual, I'm keeping an open mind. Don't trust many politicians around the world right now.

BetterNow, MAGAorMIGA, kibosh and 3 others like this.
  2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

If you are referring to the 2nd Gulf War, I don't disagree with you. Just to be clear, in advocating action of some sort against Syria, I am not advocating military action. I think we have seen enough of that to know that it does not work. It has only led to further human atrocities.

But on the topic of the Gulf wars, we have an example of chemical weapons being used by Saddam Hussein without any objection by the West when he gassed and killed maybe 5000 civilians and harming up to 10,000 citizens of the Kurdish city of Halabja. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halabja_chemical_attack

It was two years later and only in response to the invasion of Kuwait and damage to Western purloined oil resources and economics, that we invaded Iraq for the first time. When Saddam was tried for human atrocities, many years later after the 2nd Gulf War, no mention was made of this. Hence there is precedence for people to use chemical weapons and be able to get away with it.

And as for the West's culpability --(but not excusing the culpability of Russia and various war lords and tin pot dictators in the region)--- in the mess of the Middle East, it is the sheer stupidity, to put it mildly, of the West in firing any civil servant who had been in Saddam's Ba'ath party, --- pretty much all of the civil service, --- effectively leaving the country completely ungoverned and then even stupider, dismantling all the Iraq army, leaving thousands of soldiers, complete with weapons with nothing to do except get angry. This was the genesis of the present day fully armed ISIS and the most recent unrest in the Middle East. http://www.lacsc.org/papers/papera1.pdf

Scintillant likes this.
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And just to add, I remember reading a report, at the time, stating that the precursor chemicals for Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons were sold to him by the German's and it was quite clear at the time that we knew what they were intended for.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

White phosphorus is not illegal, its horrible (but then can you get a nice weapon) but the US and others are allowed to use it against a military target,

Poison gas used on civilian targets is both wrong and illegal on both counts,

nomad, lanokia and border_walker like this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Relevant?
    [​IMG]

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

Former head of British Armed Forces gets cut off by Sky when he goes off-script on Syria

palmtree100 likes this.
  7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Oh ok I didn't realise, *call me naieve who do they sell then to, our allies?

*I thought it was private companies under licence.

8. monicabilongame

Laphroig and vinnie24 like this.
  9. T34

T34 Established commenter

Very interesting.
    And ten days later came the nerve agent attack in Salisbury, serving to harden public opinion against Russia.
    Was that the first step of an elaborate conspiracy?
    But who are the conspirators, Russia or the USA?
    Or both?

If my life depended on it (which it does), my gut feeling is that it is our lot who are doing most of the plotting.
    It's all happening just a little bit too quickly and smoothly - dissenting voices are being silenced - doubtful videos are "evidence" - "experts" are wheeled out to try to convince us of the government line - and much more probable causes are derided.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Clear and succinct as ever.

11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It could be the leading cabals of both, plus a few other places, particularly those that control the tax havens.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Will we get a more favourable trade deal after the attacks? Did we deal to save steel?

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Meanwhile, in Syria:

14. T34

Perhaps.
    Putin's standing in Russia will be increased, if that is possible,
    Trump has shown he is tough so his status will increase and he will be accepted among the "lefty liberals".
    Everybody wins!

But who is going to get the contracts for rebuilding Syria?
    Is the US going to continue its attempts to depose Assad?
    Will they perhaps now try to paint him as a reformed character after his chastisement at their hands? What can they offer him or threaten him with? Sarin on his doorknob? A trip to Disneyland?

15. monicabilongame

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Theresa May - rewriting the books on ineptitude.

Laphroig likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

There may be a time when we want close allies to support us. Oh now wait a minute ....

19. T34

20. T34

Don't blame her. She does as she is told by her masters. When was the last time a British prime minister went against US instructions?