1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Theresa May takes the UK to war

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Here we go again, airstrikes in our "national interest".

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Another bad May error - so much for the "will of the people"

Startedin82, JL48 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Watch that statement again.

Not once does she look directly into the camera.

Startedin82 likes this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

She'll be looking at some kind of autocue above it.

needabreak likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She'll be looking at picking up her P45 soon.

Startedin82 likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

May references the use of chemical weapons "on the streets of the UK". I wouldn't be surprised if this script were written prior to the 4th of March.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Probably the biggest thrill she's ever had.

9. Vince_Ulam

In this morning's press conference May, without naming Russia, has said that the UK's overnight airstrikes on Syria should be a warning to whoever was behind the "attack" in Salisbury. Visibly nervous, she avoided Robert Peston's challenge on this. Threatening Russia with airstrikes, she should be nervous.

palmtree100 and emerald52 like this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Something had to be done in response to the use of chemical weapons on innocent civilians. I don't disagree with that, but I certainly am not in a position or knowledgeable enough, or of the mind set to know what that should have been. The only thing I do know is that we, as a nation and as part of the West, are as much as anybody, responsible for the politics and state of the modern world. We are still suffering the aftermath of our aggressive exploitation of the Middle East and the rest of the world for its resources over, not just the immediate past, but going back several centuries and beyond.

On the matter of justifying our aggression on the grounds of it being the use of chemical weapons, why haven't we done this before? Chemical weaponry has to my personal knowledge been used in the middle East through out my life time. It is the easiest thing to do to fill a barrel with chlorine. We have had plenty of news reports of chlorine barrel bombs being dropped on civilian communities over the past thirty / forty years. Why didn't we do something then? Why now in particular?

The world is a very dangerous place at present with our ability to make such destructive war. The answer to the dreadful state of the Middle East can not be simply sending in our sophisticated weaponry to blast away at them. If this is our response every time we will get nowhere.

The other thing that worries me, why is May doing all this without waiting for a proper report from the area and without recalling parliament?

Once again we see our Prime Minister being a poodle to the President of the USA.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When as a species, are we going to grow up and behave in civilised manner like we pretend we do?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    JL48 and lapinrose like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

According to May, the intelligence on barrel bombs and helicopters which contributed to these airstrikes is "open source" i.e. unverified rumour.

Yes.

Startedin82 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

To put it a simpler way: If you walked out onto your street and saw someone screaming because they'd been badly attacked, would you just walk by - or as Jesus said 'Walk by on the other side'? You might be putting yourself into the position of being attacked yourself by defending an innocent victim, but would this be your main thought? Sometimes you have to bring these thoughts down to a personal level.

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I noticed no-one bombed Israel for using white phosphorous on Gaza, and the UK is more than happy to continue selling weapons to Saudi, which is bombing Yemen to shreds.

15. Scintillant

Yes. That's what I'm hearing a lot of.

I wonder if we will ever be taken to task by people saying "something has to be done" about a country that started a war on lies and ended up killing over half a million people?

Do you know who Assad and Co are fighting? Those numerous insane factions that include those people who ate someone's heart live on TV. I expect things will be better if they get the upper hand.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. Scintillant

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. Vince_Ulam

Can't do that. That'd be anti-Semitic.

18. monicabilongame

Peter Ford on BBC Radio Scotland outing the 'monitors' of the alleged attacks. The interviewer tried for about ten seconds to talk him down but former Ambassador Peter Ford ploughed on and dropped several truth bombs. Fortunately it was live.

T34, kibosh, vinnie24 and 1 other person like this.
  19. monicabilongame

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What are the UN doing? Are they toothless as usual? Is it time to expel Russia?

My biggest worry is what exactly is Putin up to. He is manipulating the west and there must be some agenda, after his destabilisation of the US (by manipulating Trump into power) and pushing us away from Europe (after fiddling the Brexit vote). We are in the sh*t and dancing to Putin's tune. he wanted this response, but why?

BetterNow likes this.