1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

There's something stuck in my chimney ...advice please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moragcat, Jun 17, 2008.

1. I am sure there is a bird or something like that stuck in my chimney. We hear scuffling noises from time to time and the cats are spending hours howling and staring at a blank wall in the bedroom. Whatever it is it's been there for days now - I don't know how far up it is as I know the sounds can be amplified but it sounds as though it is just the other side of the skirting board in our bedroom - maybe it's a lot nearer to the top than it would seem? Really don't know what to do - and I don't like to think of it being in distress...

oh ******

hhhhheeeeeeeelllllllllllpppppppppp

mc x

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Light the fire.
    (Better late than never)

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mice. Leave the cats to it.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It could be a bird. You could call a chimney sweep.

aspensquiver likes this.
  5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I have a small boy you could borrow...

midnight_angel likes this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

7. T34

T34 Established commenter

Have you got a mesh on the top of your chimney to protect birds from falling down it? You should be able to check this from ground level outside the house.
    If not it almost certainly a trapped bird. Sounds as though the fireplace in your bedroom has been removed and the chimney hole covered over.
    It's up to you what to do - break through to release the bird, or leave it to die.
    But whatever you do, make sure you've got/you'll get that protection on the top of the chimney.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Same thing happened to us once - called out the RSPCA (I think it was). There was nothing they could do for the stuck bird.

Another time one did manage to get out down the chimney and flew into the room! It survived unhurt.

Agree about getting the mesh cover on the chimney. It's awful for you to listen to and of course awful for the bird.

midnight_angel likes this.
  9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The OP was posted more than 7 years ago so any bird up that chimney would have met its maker long ago.

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

11. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Ridiculous. Why do people do this? It's pointless.

12. aspensquiver

Your response is nasty.

13. aspensquiver

By the way.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No it wasn't. Behave. You KNOW the reasons why.

Don't happen to fancy a dance-off, by any chance, aspens?

15. aspensquiver

Yes it was horrible to suggest lighting a fire in a chimney where a bird might have been trapped. At the point I read it, I was unaware the thread was ancient. And therefore pointless.
    As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you're talking about. Behave, indeed.

kibosh likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sounds like the tortured disembodied spirit of a small Victorian orphan labourer forced up the chimney to eke out a meagre living. Wracked by consumption and rickets they couldn't manage to hang on to the brickwork and became trapped. Their plaintive cries and ever weakening struggles loosened the teetering accumulation of soot they'd been sent up there to clean and they choked to death horribly. Now, trapped between this world and the next, they are doomed to repeat the tragic events of that fateful night endlessly until their soul can find release.

Then again it might be a bird.

InkyP and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Apologies, aspen. Seems glitches within TES have been gremlining. Still, do you fancy a dance-off? Or have you gone off the idea now? :) Nice cup of tea instead?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Sensible; the bird would be gassed.

monicabilongame likes this.
  20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Roast pigeon anyone?